iPhone Backup

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Lucbert, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

Hey Guys I have a question,
    My iPhone (3G) is currently jailbroken and I'm planning on unjailbreaking it.
    Because I don;t want to loose all my content I want to restore my iPhone and than restore it from a backup.
    Does the backup contain any "jailbreak information"? Because I want to completely get rid of the jailbreak.

2. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Yes, it could restore something you don't want on their. Why are you worried about loosing your information? Once you sync the phone the information is stored stored via iTunes. What is not synced is notes and sms. All you do is restore then setup as new then re-sync all your data again. Setup as new does not destroy all you data.

3. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

You have to do a full "erase all contents/settings", then restore to get rid of ALL the jailbreak stuff. But to answer your question, no it doesn't backup any "jailbroken" stuff.

4. Lucbert thread starter macrumors regular

Lucbert

So I just do the full erase and than restore it from a backup?

5. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

As a general rule of thumb you do not restore a backup if the backup was from a jailbroken phone. Much better to setup as new to avoid the risk in the first place. Plus if you have any software problems with the phone Apple even states you must setup as new after restoring the phone.

6. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Sorry for bumping an old thread....but everything syncs except for notes and sms? Are those the ONLY 2 things that don't get sync'd? How can I go about saving my notes and sms so I can transfer them to a new iPhone?