iPhone backups clogging my hard drive....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jgw1283, Sep 20, 2010.

1. jgw1283 macrumors regular

jgw1283

I want to delete some of my iphone backups because everytime I back it up, gigs of space are gone and its getting frustrating. Where are these files kept? Can I delete them from itunes?

2. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

open iTunes > click on edit at the top (right next to file) > preferences> then click the device tab you will see your list of back ups there delete the ones you don't want

3. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

jgw, That doesn't sound right. Each time you backup, it should write over your previous backup. You should only have one backup per iOS device backed up.

4. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I have at least three...so it's possible to have more than one

5. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

True. I did a lot of backups, and there is no problem at all with my computer.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How small is your hard drive?
    Internal drives are dirt cheap. I just got a 2TB for $99.

7. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I also only have one backup.

Does it make a difference if you manually tell it to do a backup?

I always just let it backup when I sync.

8. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

maybe you guys with only one back up are using Macs? I'm using a PC and I can always see the last three back ups and the date and time they were created

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I'm on a Mac, and I see the 3 most recent backups as well. So, hmmmmmm:confused: now I am curious, hahaha

10. spikefood macrumors regular

I can see about a list of over 10 backups dating back a year. So its possible to have lots saved up I suppose. However, in that time I've had 2 3gs's and 2 iphone 4's due to replacements due to hardware malfunctions. So it might be saving extra back ups because of its unique serial.

11. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

no it's not that...I have three just for my iPhone 4...I deleted my back ups from the last three years

12. jgw1283 thread starter macrumors regular

jgw1283

I have a MBP with a 250gb hdd. I am not down to like 2 gigs or anything but I like to leave a lot of free space.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I don't know why you have all this space being wasted by multiple backups. I have a MBP and at all time, regardless of number of back-ups, I'm using no more than 1 GB for backups.

14. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

I'm using XP Pro with whatever the most recent SP is (SP3 I believe), and the newest version of iTunes.

15. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i have snow leopard with itunes 10 and 5 devices - 1 ipad, 1 iphone, 3 ipod touches and they all have just one backup.

edit: here's what i found. in itunes, it only shows the most recent sync for each device. all previous backups are stored here (mac):
    ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

16. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

How big is your HD?

Are you OCD about Free Memory/HD space?

I got backups on my back from my Original iPhone (from 2007)... they take up a few GBs and they cause not issue what so ever.

PS: i know this doesn't actually adress your question/concern but I am jut curious if it is something else going on.

17. oakfan52 macrumors newbie

The backup/restore features in itunes for the iphone sucks. It needs a complete overhaul. There needs to be much more control given to how often and how many backups are kept. Being able to restore indiviual data would be nice as well.

18. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

question, how can i tell what back up is for what and the dates ? i have a mac but i also connect my ipad, ipod and iphone to this and i see a lot of back ups but i cant tell what each is for . Can someone help ?
    Thanks

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Open itunes,edit, preferences, Devices
    It will list for what device name the backup is for and the date and time created.