iPhone battery catches fire (pictures)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hansonjohn590, Nov 25, 2013.

1. hansonjohn590, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

IMPORTANT NOTE BEFORE READING FURTHER: This happened when a user (not me) attempted to do a self repair. Likely punctured the battery.

Anyways, holy crap! Be careful if you open your phone. See pictures here:

http://imgur.com/a/bqKVQ

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So you came here, posted in giant red text then asked how many morons here would ignore your giant red text? That is cute. No one said that self repairs were without risk but the true moron there is the guy who took pictures for Reddit and let the fire go. You can't possibly know what caused the fire though, but your guess echos those you saw on Reddit so that works.

BTW, you may want to re-word your post. I vaguely remember referring to people in general as morons on ending badly for me. Just sayin'. Maybe the rules have changed though or they will be less consistent.

3. hansonjohn590 thread starter macrumors 6502

I posted it to hoping to cut down on the 'Not Apple's fault' posts but yeah, good call. The gigantic red text should suffice.

Just things it's amazing the flames that can come out of this. I've done a manually battery replacement on a few phones before and never understood until seeing this the potential risks involved.

4. Hustler1337 macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

He/she had the time to step back and snap a few pics? I'd have been trying to put out that flame ASAP and save my house from burning down with it.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Batteries are actually kind of dangerous. No one should be surprised. What is surprising is that dummy who snapped pics instead of putting the fire out.

6. hafr macrumors 68030

People react and assess situations differently. Just look at kitchen fires, how some people freak out and pour water in burning oil...

But yeah, I'm totally with you on this one. Although he might be one of those instagrammers ;)

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Throwing water on a Li-ion battery fire will make it much, much worse. Most household fire extinguishers wouldn't have done much either.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

My company often transports LION batteries and the official procedure to put out a LION fire with water, it says, which I immediately was scheptical at first, but hey this is no fly-by-night company so I trust what they telling me.