iPhone Battery Defective?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christall109, Sep 22, 2007.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

Hey guys I've had my iPhone 8GB for a little more than 2 weeks. I just had a quick question on the battery life.

When I first got it, I played with it the whole day 12pm to 8pm and at 8 it gave me the 10 percent warning.

Now after I had the phone on for 2 days (5 hours of Usage, 1 day 13 hours of stand by) my iPhone dies.

It seems like the battery life is getting shorter...or is it just me?
    Btw it seems like when I play music out the speakers the battery goes much quicker, can anyone confirm this?

Does the battery need to be calibrated? What are the best recharging practices? How often do you charge your iPhone and how long does it last for you?

2. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

While I'm by no means an expert on iPhone battery issues, every electronic device I've ever used got significantly shorter battery life with an external speaker than with headphones.

3. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Am I a retard here or do I just not comprehend the OPs post.

He/she said day one it gave 8hrs of use (12pm-8pm) and at 8pm the phone signaled a 10% battery alert.

2 weeks later he/she is getting 5hrs of usage and over 37hrs standby and he/she thinks the battery is getting shorter?? Seems to me the battery life is getting longer.

What am I missing here??

4. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

you fail to mention is your wifi turned on even while in standby. bluetooth on/off? I'd suggest the external speaker would drain the battery faster if I had to guess. I've read that it's not a good idea at all to drain your battery totally so don't do that hoping to reset it. Also you don't illustrate the kinds of use in the 5hrs. ipod won't drain as much as Edge/wifi I imagine.

5. sanford macrumors 65816

You're a retard. But that doesn't mean the post makes any sense, either. ;-) I think it's just iPhone battery paranoia, a similar disease to iPod battery paranoia.

To the OP: I get like four years battery life. Seriously, my battery lasts a long time on WiFi or airport mode, somewhat less but still good actually talking and using EDGE. 5 hours use and over 37 hours standby sounds spot-on to me. You can try calibrating the power management like you would an iPod, but based on what you're reporting it's not needed. Sounds spiffy to me.

Note to jecapaga with battery fear: It is not good to totally deplete these types of batteries. Leave them fully depleted a while and you shorten the life of the battery and the charge it will hold. Leave it depleted a long time it may never recharge again. But calibration, that is, running the battery until it is so depleted the iPhone forces itself to sleep or off, that's not total depletion. The power manager throws the switch on you way before there. So it's safe to calibrate this way. It's only a problem if you calibrate this way and then wait like a day to recharge it. Call it 4 hours to be totally safe, but I think that time is very, very conservative. If you calibrate, you should keep an eye on it and when it quits because the battery is "empty" or "dead", recharge it right away. If you wait a bit, the battery will have to charge enough for the iPhone to turn on and sync, so don't freak out if it won't come on the minute you charge it. And the longer you wait, the longer it will have to charge before powering on, and sync'ing if you're charging via the USB cradle.

But unless you have some sort of terribly noticeable battery deficiency, I don't think calibration is necessary.