iPhone Battery Drained, Not Reviving

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mahatma86, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Mahatma86 macrumors newbie

This is how it went down -

My iPhone 3GS (no warranty, jailbroken, unlocked) battery had just gotten in the red zone - 9% so i put it on charge on a laptop.

As soon as i put it to charge, the battery jumped to 13% and continued to charge.

I had to sleep and shuffle stuff around.. was lazy so i just removed the cell from charge and kept it aside at 19% or so batt level.

Next morning when I woke up the phone was dead. It wouldn't start on wall plug nor laptop, iTunes wouldn't detect it.

Its been a week now, with endless hours of being plugged to laptop/wall charger. Still nada signs of vitals.

My guess is, the battery cutt off circuit got uncalibrated when the battery lever rose by a few points as i had mentioned.. giving the phone access to emergency charge reserved for revival on next charge.. hence the lifelessness..

Have since tried pressing both power and home together to revive, tried the mute trick and various combinations, tried restarting computer with iPhone on usb, tried putting usb in laptop whie pressing menu n et all..

Absolutely nothing has produced any results so far.

Anyone got a clue?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The only way you're going to charge this is by the wall charger, if that, so stop trying the USB.

I don't understand why you have no warranty. Since you're probably not going to fix this, you should try to see if you can get an out of warranty replacement for $199.

3. tammyinkansas macrumors member

tammyinkansas

Same thing happened to me. This is happening because your iphone battery needs to be replaced with a new one. I had my iphone for almost 2 years when this happened to me. Trust me I tried everything too but here is all you can do:
    Plug your iphone into your wall charger. Now leave it there all day and all night. Dont even touch it. The screen will stay black but trust me its charging-very very slowly. The next day take it off the charger and turn it on like you normally would. It will be charged up with a full charge BUT understand that you will only be able to use it for about 4-5 hours,even if its just laying there not being used,before it will be dead again due to battery going down. Then you will need to charge it up again via wall charger all day. Ive been doing that to mine for over a month now. As an alternative to sending your phone to Apple, you can find replacement batteries along with the tool kits to DIY(do it yourself), on Ebay. Just search for iphone replacement battery. Good luck!:)

4. Mahatma86 thread starter macrumors newbie

@ tammyinkansas
    Thanks for taking the time to post ur suggestions. I will be leaving it on the wall charger that I got with the phone. Its a small white box thats plugged in the wall socket and has the other end for attaching a usb to. Hoping this works...

@ -aggie-
    Dun have a warranty cuz I got my cell off ebay when they weren't selling it around here (India). Din know 3GS is going for just that much without warranty.