iPhone battery draining during standby

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by comics addict, Mar 21, 2014.

1. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Just last week I got myself a new iPhone 5s (upgrading from an iPhone 4s) and everything's been great except that I have noticed that my battery drains extremely quickly during standby. I basically leave my phone above 90% and just over six hours later (enough to catch my sleep ;) ) I am already down to 70%. A heck of a lot faster than I manage to drain by using the device. And this is having restored my 5s using iTunes from the first day and with all my settings the same as under my old 4s. Is this normal ?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Something isn't right. Normally I drop about 1% per hour in standby.

3. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

That sounds about right with my user experience from using my 4s. :(

4. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

Do you have any location service on? This seems to kill my battery, after upgrading to 7.1 I found that "frequent locations" was constantly on. On 7.0 it was perfect.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Turn LTE off and you'll see a huge savings in power, at least I do.

6. JAT macrumors 603

This is a common cause. The 4s didn't have LTE, so at home you were accessing 3G signals. LTE signals may be at a lower level, keeping your phone actively accessing them, wasting battery.

7. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for getting back to you guys so late. Ok I only have the location services turn on that I strictly use like for Maps and such. And where I am at I do have LTE coverage although I tend to be mostly connected to Wi-Fi. Should I still try turning those features off ?

8. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

One thing that's not mentioned: software. Did you restore from a backup? Did you start fresh? Etc.? The most influential thing to try is to restore to factory settings, without restoring from a backup, to see what the results are.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Not normal at all. It should drains no more than 5% in six hours of standby, and 1-2% if it is in aero mode.

Don't restore it using iTunes backup. Restore it as a new phone and then download your apps again from the store.

----------

I can't find a single good reason to keep frequent locations on anyway ....
    I don't like it, popular near to me and any location service related to iAds ....

----------

Don't start to disable services .... is not a solution and most of the time has nothing to do with battery drain.

A very poor signal strength could be the reason, but the first thing I'd do is to restore as new.

10. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok so I am not crazy I thought as much. I did however restored from my 4s backup.

I have all these features off. Sorry for being vague in my initial response.

I have pretty good signal strength where I live at least.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I strongly suspect the problem is in your restored 4S backup ...

12. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok I decided to follow the advice I received from you guys and decided to erase my iPhone and set it as new. Tweak all the settings as I remember having on my old iPhone and used iTunes to sync my music & apps to the device. Now I'll use it for a couple of days and see if the issue crops up again. If that were to be the case then I believe a visit to my carrier is in order, right ?

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Yep.