iPhone Battery Draining...normal or too quick?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iPhoneuser94, Dec 8, 2010.

1. iPhoneuser94 macrumors newbie

Well, I bought a new iPhone 4 just two weeks ago. It's been working good so far, but the battery life seems a bit different -- it feels as if the battery is draining faster since the first few days.

Basically whenever I'm on the Twitter app for like five minutes, the battery will go down 2%.

Today, I entered the day at 100%, and I use it a little bit during the school day. I go on Twitter sometimes, Facebook rarely, and Safari sometimes. And I listen to music a few times for a couple minutes, too.

Yet my battery is near 65% at the end of the day.

Here's what it says by Usage:

Time since last charge
    Usage: 1 hour, 58 minutes
    Standby: 8 hours, 51 minutes
    Battery Percentage: 65%

Is this normal? If not, what's the issue, the iPhone is two weeks "old".

2. vachargerfan macrumors regular

Mine was draining quick when I fist got it too. But I reset my email "fetch times" to not ever 20 mins. Turned off BT, and other small tweakes. Moderate usage of my phone normally gets me about 30 or so hours out of it before I plug it back in. For example. i took mine off the charger at 9 pm last night at 94%. I have been doing a few texts and some internet browsing today and I am at still at 62%. Adjusting the brightness/network settings really does help out the battery usage

3. PerfectChaos macrumors newbie

I don't think that's normal. At first my battery life was great. Then it sucked. After a while it got better but now I'm not sure if it's how it should be. Here's my usage after I just got home today.

Usage: 1 hour, 45 minutes
    Standby: 12 hours, 22 minutes
    Battery: 81%

And sometimes I lose like 3% from 20 minutes of texting. That's not right. Anyway, are the stats above correct because ive been want

4. PerfectChaos macrumors newbie

I don't think that's normal. At first my battery life was great. Then it sucked. After a while it got better but now I'm not sure if it's how it should be. Here's my usage after I just got home today.

Usage: 1 hour, 45 minutes
    Standby: 12 hours, 22 minutes
    Battery: 81%

And sometimes I lose like 3% from 20 minutes of texting. That's not right. Anyway, are the stats above correct because ive been wantIng to see if a restore would help.

5. draz macrumors 6502a

Does seem to be about right. Anything over 6hrs of usage is great for the iPhone 4.

And your numbers are pretty much right on track, nothing to worry about.

6. jobless macrumors newbie

You did mention Facebook. Have you disable Push under setting? that a major battery drained. Something your battery will drain faster if there no receptions.

Here my detail

Usage: 3 Hours, 25mins
    Standby: 1day, 22hours
    battery percent: 39%

7. pkwon macrumors newbie

There are many things you may want to do to prevent battery drainage.

1. Close all the apps on the Recently Used Apps task bar (click home button twice, hold the app for 3 seconds, hit "-" button), although they don't run in background, but some can still run in the background without any notice.
    2. In the apple support forum, many people had this battery drain issue, probably because of the e-mail app. So here is what you need to do: Go to settings, then mail, then click on your mail account. Delete them. do a hard reset of your iphone. Then reset your mail account. People say that this fixed their issue.
    3. Twitter is an app that requires a 3G data or any network. So it will eat a lot of battery no matter what. Being on the app and while using a network. So if you are done with the app, use step 1 to close it.
    4. Signal on your phone also affects your battery life. If you ahve full 5 bars then, it won't use as much, but if you have fewer than 3 bars, it will use more power to try to find a network that is strong. If in school, I suggest putting it in airplane mode and when you need to use it again, turn off airplane mode.