iPhone battery has started running down very quickly - help please!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bobbiebozwonk, Nov 28, 2009.

1. bobbiebozwonk macrumors newbie

My iPhone 3GS battery life seems to have suddenly gotten a lot worse in the past few days.

Battery remaining seems to be down to around 20% by the end of the day, even when I haven't spent much time using the phone. This seems to have been a fairly sudden change - until a week ago, I could get a lot more usage out of it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to state what you have on. When was the last time you calibrated?

3. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I had a severe drop recently and they replace it. Was going down about 50% with only 45 min usage. They had me restore as a new phone first. My wife and I have same 3gs phone so easy to prove. Her battery was in the 80 while mine was in the 50 with the exact same setup.

4. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

looks like im not the only one! i thought it was my jailbreak that was causing my 3GS's battery drain, but now im on stock 3.1.2 and it still goes down a lot. yesterday, i calibrated my battery - drained the battery completely and recharged it from my computer afterwards. tonight ill do the same except from the ac outlet.

as of right now, my battery is at 70%, usage is 1 hour and 38 minutes and standby is 10 hours and 42 minutes. ive made 27 minutes worth of calls and sent 2.3MB and received 25.9MB (to check if 3G was the problem). is this normal battery life? im pretty sure i used to get much better battery life up until recently (a few days/a week ago).

my settings are:

3G on
    location services on
    wifi on
    bluetooth off
    brightness below 50% (35-40%)
    push off, fetch every hour
    notifications on - only prowl, everything else off

any ideas?

5. Yakuza macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

I'm having the same kind of problem too.

About a week or so.

One of these days, i fully charged my iphone and dind't used it (charged it at night, unplugged it and leaved it on the table), the next day (morning) when i picked it i saw that the battery (without no use) had drained about a quarter!!!

WTF!!!! with no use???!

i see myself recharching the iphone within 3/4 depending on the usage. in the settings i have everything off.

what the heck is happening?

6. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

7. Yakuza macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

ok!!

I've got some update on the stat of the iphone battery.

So, last night i put the iphone on the dock to charge it, turned off the laptop, but kept the iphone connected in the dock all night. The day after (today), when i got to the phone to send a sms, there was no battery life loss. it was like 100%.

is it to much of a coincidence to leave the iphone in the dock all night (but the laptop not connected) and no battery life lossness, and do the same thing but keep the iphone disconnected from the dock and have some of the battery drain?!?!

i feel like i'm in 5th dimension! lololol

8. Jazzandmetal? macrumors regular

I am having the same issue with my 3GS. Great battery life up until a few days ago. At first I thought it was an app that I updated right when the issue started, but it is just a kids matching game....I am not sure how that would have an effect when it isn't in use. I calibrated yesterday and it didn't improve anything.

9. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

Batteries do degrade over time. I'm not saying that's your issue, but it is always a possibility.

The battery in my 3G has always been lousy. I have to charge it every night, and it barely lasts me through 1 day. If I use it a lot, I actually have to charge it before the end of the day. It's a minor annoyance because I rarely use it that much, and I'm used to charging it every night.

I'm getting a 3GS on Saturday. I'm hoping it will be better.

10. sshams95 macrumors member

I'm curious to know for those who are problems, how old your Iphones are. My theory is that quite a few of us got our Iphones around June, making these batteries 6 month old and we are starting to see poorer performance.

Two weeks ago, I was getting horrible battery life. I watched my battery % go from 73 to 68 in a split second. I was JB'd, so I restored and re-JB'd. Battery life is still poor, but not as bad as before. I calibrated battery right before I went to bed, and left phone in sleep state until I woke up this morning. My usage stats:

55% left
    1 hr 27 min of usage
    14 hrs, 38 min in standby
    1 minute of call time
    1.1mb sent and 28.3 mb rec'd.

I've played some games, ran Directv NFL Superfan app for about 15 minutes and general internet usage.

Doesn't seem right to me and I really don't want to go to Genius store only to have them just replace the phone where I would be stuck with the new bootrom and tethered jailbreak....I would rather just have them replace the battery.

So, how old are your iphones?

11. firewood macrumors 604

If the nearest cell tower or your bluetooth device sends you a weaker signal, your iPhone will turn up its radio power in response. That will drain the battery much quicker.

Found that out when I was leaving my bluetooth earpiece out in the car and turned on. Drained the iPhone's battery significantly overnight. Now I turn off bluetooth overnight.

12. firewood macrumors 604

Also try rebooting your device and turning on and off Airplane mode. Make sure it's talking to a nearby cell tower.