iPhone battery has went downhill suddenly

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MoodyM, Apr 19, 2011.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I've had this handset (iPhone 4) for 3 months, got it brand new from Apple Store as a replacement for a faulty one.

Everything has been fine since, but 3 days ago I got home from work and noticed the 20% battery warning. I thought this was strange, as I hadn't used my phone much that day, and I charge it up every night on my alarm clock dock, so I know it's full each morning. Usually by the time I get home from work it's between 50 and 60%.

I charged it overnight, as usual, but noticed the same thing yesterday - got home from work to find the battery < 20%, despite not using it much that day.

Today I was off work, so I updated it to 4.3.2. This finished about 3pm, so the battery was fully charged then. It's now 7pm, and I'm down to 44%. Again, I've not used it much between 3pm and now.

Admittedly I do have bluetooth and wifi on all the time, and brightness set to about 50% and "Auto", but this can't be the problem, as I've ALWAYS had it this way, and it's been fine for months, and the old handset was fine for 9 months with the same setup. Also the phone is jailbroken, but again, it always has been, and so was the previous handset.

Why would this just suddenly start 3 days ago, despite the fact I've changed nothing, not installed new apps, nothing?

All I've done recently (3 days ago) is add an Airport Express in my bedroom to stream music to via AirPlay, but I haven't used it much and I was careful to deselect AirPlay and pause the music on the phone before leaving the room.

Thanks

2. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

I would suggest double clicking the home button and close out all apps running in the background. Then restart your phone and charge to 100%

3. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Thanks, I'd have thought the restore/update to 4.3.2 would have cleared apps from memory, but when I checked, it seems restoring from a backup restores the app history too, cos there was loads.

When closing them all, I came across one I forgot about called "Live Profile". I remembered I *did* install this 3 days ago - I wonder if it's the culprit?

4. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Actually, I just realised something else - I charged the phone fully before going to bed last night, and took it off charge overnight, but had it on Airplane mode, and this morning it was still fully charged - so whatever is draining the battery might be something thats turned off in Airplane mode??

5. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Didn't work, was fully charged this morning, no apps running, and now, 9 hours later, it's under 10%.

Also, I noticed the phone is much hotter than usual...

6. Woch2331 macrumors member

No other ideas?

I'm having the same issue with my wife's iPhone 3GS. This weekend we got home from a vacation (her iPhone was on Airplane Mode all week with no battery problems). I updated my iPhone 4 with the new 4.3.2 along with our iPad. When I plugged her iPhone in, I went ahead and updated it also (I usually have said no to the update on her iPhone). Now she's down to under 20% every afternoon, without using it all day.

What are the best settings to stop any batery drain? I've got most Notifications and Location Services shut down. I've closed down all apps and rebooted. Watching the battery now...

7. momo1103 macrumors newbie

I'm having exactly the same problems!

I have an iPhone 4, 16gb.

Ever since updating to 4.3.2 it was fine for about a day, then the next day it started getting REALLY hot at the back of the iPhone (camera side) the heat spread to all the back. Then the steel sides of the phone started getting really hot too.
    Have to keep switching it off for about 10 minutes every couple of hours or so in order to use it.
    And just like you the battery drains veryyy quickly, even though I hardly use it.. I let the battery drain completely then I charged it up to 100% today morning and now its already at 26%
    Taking it to the Apple store tomorrow and will see if I can get a replacement or see what they say...
    :confused:

8. Woch2331 macrumors member

I just checked her phone and it's at 65% right now (in her purse all day). Which is better than 20%, but it usually is over 80% by the afternoon.

9. sotorious macrumors 6502a

I just got mine today and my battery life seems a bit bad.

10. need2speed94 macrumors newbie

suggestions

i would suggest:

1. never leave bluetooth on, thats asking for bad battery life
    2. maybe you downloaded an app recently thats constantly running in the background causing bad battery life
    3. close apps when you arent using them
    4. maybe you possibly got an iPhone with a battery issue, im sure Apple will send a replacement if its a battery problem

11. sotorious macrumors 6502a

not using bluetooth umm the app could be possible. I do close my apps all the time. it feels like the % is going down every 10 mins or so.

12. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

1. Understood, but like I said I've ALWAYS had Bluetooth on at all time, from iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS and 2 different iPhone 4's, and this problem only started a few days ago.

2. I tried closing all apps and rebooting, problem still existed next day, even though I didnt open ANY apps that day

3. See above

4. I booked a slot at the genius bar for today, but then had a brainwave - I restored to 4.3.2, jailbroke again, but this time I set it up as a new iPhone instead of restoring from my backup. I re-synced all my apps and music, etc, and turned on Bluetooth and connected to my WiFi, to give a fair comparison. Low and behold, after 4 hours, my battery has only depleted 6% instead of ~50%.

So it seems the culprit, somehow, was restoring from my backup.

Problem solved, but I'm bloody annoyed I've lost all my folders, settings, high scores, game progress, etc etc :(

Any idea what on Earth could be in a backup that causes this issue?