iPhone battery help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ice-Cube, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Hi Guys, I just received a brand new iPhone 3GS today. My battery seems to drain very very fast. It was fully charged, and I turn off all my services and the battery is dropping 1 percent every 2 minutes. its just sitting there with the screen locked and in 15-20 mins, the battery has gone down from 100% to 77%. What can I do? Is the battery faulty?

I did not jailbreak the phone and I have already restore it to factory settings once. Please advice!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Are you sure you have everything turned off? 3G? Push? Also, how is your signal? Having bad reception with the radio constantly searching for a signal can reduce battery life.

Put it in airplane mode, so you can isolate the issue and make sure nothing is running your battery down. If it still goes down that quick then you ay have a problem. Also, try rebooting your phone (press and hold home and lock until the phone turns off).

3. kindrik macrumors newbie

I got a new 3gs on monday of last week and had a similar problem to you. The first night I had it I went to bed and woke up the next morning to a flat battery. I charged it again and watched it closely the next day. Within a few hours it was dead again.

This happened a few times but now it seems to be holding it's charge a little better though I must say that I'm still not impressed with the battery life. I took it to work fully charged today and (though I have to admit I used it a fair bit) came home ten hours later with a battery on 25%.

I phoned the apple store I bought it from on the wednesday and they told me that the battery is covered in the year warranty so to give it a few weeks and see how it works out.

I've also read in various places on the internet about battery performance increasing over time so I'm giving it another month or two to see what happens.

Hope this eases your mind a little and let us know how you get on!

4. afab macrumors newbie

i have the same problem. the battery used to be ok. not great but ok. now i have the date turned off, and am not using the phone, it is sitting there with a dark screen and burning through battery fast. it is out within 8 hours not being used at all. either something malicious is running in the background that i dont know about, or the battery is faulty.

5. Ice-Cube thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I'm absolutely sure everything is off: Push, Wi-fi, 3G, Location Services, Bluetooth. Also, the phone seems to be warm even when its doing nothing. I did a fresh reboot and its still the same.

I really hope its not a hardware issue, anybody have similar experiences and found a solution?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, all I can recommend then is to do a DFU restore. It does sound like you have a hardware issue though.

7. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    Try this

Charge it to 100% .....
    Let it Drain to 0% .....

Do this 10 times and see how much better your Battery life gets.

I had the same problem.

(PushMail is a Great Battery Saver BTW)

Hope this helps

8. Ice-Cube thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Ok...will do as you guys suggested and post back any updates. Thanks!

9. kfresh macrumors newbie

I have recently been having the same exact problem. It's been going on for about a week. I think I have pinpointed the issue. Force quit you mobile Safari app. (open Safari) (hold your top button until you get the slide to power off screen) (hold your menu button until it kicks back to your home screen). My battery meter immediately went up and seems to be draining correctly now. I am going to run it all the way down and recharge with it off overnight to be sure. Seems like Safari was running in the backround.

10. MartyS macrumors newbie

I had the same issue when I bought my 3GS. After a week, I took it back to the Apple Store, they did some tests and replaced the phone. It's been working great since then, and I have more than enough battery life now.

11. Ice-Cube thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Hi guys, I've done all of the suggestions and the battery life has improved only slightly. With everything turned off (PUSH, Wi-Fi, Location Services, Bluetooth, etc) except for 3G which I need to make calls, Playing the iPod drains me 12% for half an hour of usage. While on standby, it drains 1% every 4-6 minutes.

However the phone is not as warm as I first gotten it. Do you guys suggest I bring it back to Apple or use it for a while more? I have read from different forums saying its more of the 3.0.1 firmware rather than the hardware itself.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There's no reason to calibrate a battery 10 times like that. OP, don't do this

13. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

This is a FIRMWARE issue. How do I know? Because my iPhone 3GS I brought the second week at launch has run TOTALLY FLAWLESS since I got UNTIL I connected it to iTunes about 3 day's ago, and I got a messages stating a 'Service Provider Update' needed to be installed? This i NOT 3.0.1 as I already had that.

Now since I installed the bloody thing, the phone is warm, battery life is utter crap, it ran itself flat in 6 or 6 hrs doing nothing, I was SLEEPING!!!!
    And also the phone has been constantly interfering with my surround sound system, the ddddddddd noise you get, the distance the interference occurred from increased and it was constant, I have performed a reset which solved that issue but not the battery one?

Like I said this is all SINCE I installed this update? I'm in the UK and my phone is a 16gb 3GS non jailbroken on O2. Has anyone else had this update message?

14. Ice-Cube thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Update:

Today I swapped out the sim card with a different carrier and the battery life seems to improve. The reception is better I guess, hence the better battery life. I only dropped 7% within 2.5 hours standby and 46mins of usage(calls and iPod listening). 3G and Push (Mobileme contacts and calendars, not mail) is on with the rest off. Is my phone back to normal guys?

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Too early to know definitely, but it does look really good so far.

16. Ice-Cube thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Thank you. You have been very helpful so far. Appreciated.

17. CarlyLyon macrumors member

dont leave it charging overnight either.. this tends to drian the battery as well