iPhone iPhone battery "jumping" up and down

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by icebergx, Aug 22, 2013.

1. icebergx macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I have a problem with my iPhone 5, using iOS6.1 and jailbroken.
    The problem is, my battery sometimes drops 8-10% in one go, for no reason. At one point, I was on 20%. I used it for 20 seconds and in that time the battery had dropped to 9%, I immediately connected it to a charger, and it jumped up to 22%...

In another instance the phone switched off and, when I tried to restart it, the battery indicator said they it was totally discharged. I plugged it into the power supply, and within a second the apple logo had appeared and 10 seconds later, when I reached the home screen, the battery was on 22%!
    Just to make sure this wasn't a glitch, I immediately disconnected the phone and continued to used it for a few hours, without it dying again...

I have no idea what the hell is going on... Hope you can help :)

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Very similar happened to mine resulting in having to exchange it for a completely new one. I purchased the original iPhone 5 upon release (almost a year ago). iPhone 5's, at least those manufactured in the first batches, seem to have a weak battery.

When did you purchase yours? When was it manufactured?

3. blakkout macrumors member

My jailbroken iPhone 5 that I've had since release also does those crazy jumps when it gets down to 20% and lower.

And overall, from this other thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1622765 I used Battery Detective to pretty much confirm my battery is failing quicker than expected.

4. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

When was it manufactured? This problem seems to be pretty rampant with at least early(er) iPhone 5's.

Unfortunately, it's in no way true Apple is always using high-quality components like batteries. On the contrary - just check out these shots I've taken of (after three years only...) highly swollen iPhone 3GS batteries:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33448355@N07/sets/72157633931601917/

So much for "Quality components"....

5. blakkout macrumors member

Assuming I'm reading my serial number correctly, I believe early Sept 2012