iphone battery life after 2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SOLLERBOY, Sep 14, 2008.

1. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

So i'm not one to moan , I got an iphone 3g on 11th aug and it was perfect , no cracks , great battery life , no light leak but after 2.1 my battery really sucks. It seems to have the reverse effect.

My battery used to last for around 3 days before getting to 20%( light phone use but checking e-mails every couple of hours) now while doing the same tasks it is lasting less than 3 days and the usage indicator in the settings menu is just showing - )
    Also the battery indicator seems to go down in chunks rather than slithers if you know what i'm saying?

Is anyone else having this issue?

2. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah, there are plenty of threads about this... or rather, there are plenty of complaints like this in threads about battery life in general.

I had the same problem -- after installing 2.1 the battery drained 10 times faster than normal. So I had a look at the Usage stats under Settings/General/Usage and found that it claimed 10 hours of usage during 12 hours of standby. An outrageous claim since everything was switched off (3G, LS, Fetch, Push etc) and I hadn't used it actively for more than a couple of minutes. So, some app must have been running in the background and sucking all the juice out of the battery. Perhaps a hung app.

Make a habit of rebooting the phone every time you've used it actively, and see if that makes any difference. It did for me. Now I have excellent battery life with 3G enabled, which was never possible before.

3. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

My battery is dramatically better. When I upgraded I did a clean install, than synced my apps from itunes. I even left location services on all day and my battery life almost doubled. I checked my usage stats and I was no longer getting strange stats like something was running in the background. What a great update.

I even get reception at my house now. I used to get 0 to 1 bar. Now I get 3 bars of 3g and I can now make calls.

4. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I definitely agree. I made it through an entire day with 3G, BT, and location services on, and 12 hrs later, I still had ~30% left. I listened to music, surfed, and checked email.

5. Chicagomac08 macrumors member

My battery life sucks worse than before too.... I need to figure out what is wrong.:mad:

6. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried a restore? I didn't do this, but it might help...mine's still doing very well, especially compared to before.

7. bobhammer macrumors member

bobhammer

ye me2...the update improves my battery life greatly, usually after a day of heavy usage including web surfing, music, video, camera and gps, I would end up with a red battery bar, but now, I still have at least 50percent of battery life left!!!! Great Job Steve

8. toss002 macrumors regular

Just want to put in a couple of words.

Got mine 3G since Aug 11. (Still use 1st gen for iPod features--got it on iDay.)

The point is that I have had experience using iPhone since iDay. And I know my battery usage.

With iPhone 3G and 2.1, my battery is significantly better. Before my 3G would barely last a day. Now, it has some juice left for the next day. And I have the same usually routine use of the phone with my business.

Sorry to hear about yours not being better.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I need to run more tests but right off the bat my battery life seems much better.

At exactly 50% battery life (MyBattery on Cydia - displays percentage)

3 hours, 2 minutes USAGE
    9 Hours, 4 minutes STANDBY

30 minutes YOUTUBE
    2 hours on WiFi
    3 hours iPod (Video and Audio)

Attached Files:

10. fa.ce macrumors 6502

but at the end of the restore http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414
    i should restore from backup or setup for a new iphone ?
    in this second case i'll eligible to recover/reinstall all my old programs buyed through itunes ?
    i'm having strange problems with my iPhone and want to try to full restore it.
    thanks

11. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

12. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

My battery has gotten a little better. It last for about 2 days if I just use as a phone, not a computer. I turn my push email off, and make sure wi-fi isnt left on. Its been helping quite a bit.

13. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

My battery life seems to be about the same. I keep everything on (3G, wifi, bluetooth, push, location services, etc). I can get about 36 hours (standby) with 3-5 hours of usage before it completely dies, but I usually just plug it in at night with a little more than half the battery gone because I don't want to bother with recharging it in the middle of the day.

14. haddman macrumors regular

Battery lasts along time after %20

OK, I decided to try and run my battery down completely for the first time since upgrading to 2.1. Took it off the charger about 8 am on day 1 and when I went to sleep that night I had about half a battery. I had 3g on the whole time and wifi on most of the evening. For day 2 I turned 3G off as I don't get 3G reception at work anyways, and I made it through most of the day at work about 3 pm or so and received the 20% remaining warning, made/received 3 or 4 phone calls and some light internet use, mostly on wifi, and received the 10% warning at about 6:30-7 pm. Used it to browse the web some and updated a couple of Apps, and it was still going strong as I was getting ready to go to bed. The last screen shot I took at about 11 pm had 6hrs 23 mins of usage, 1 Day, 14 hrs standby, last time I checked it at about 12 midnight it was still going, fell asleep and woke up about 2 am, and it was finally dead, so plugged it in to the charger.

I had 3g for at least 50% of the time, wifi on at night while at home, usually after 5:30-6 pm turning it off when I leave for work in the AM, location off, Push email on for MS Exchange, fetching Gmail every 1 hr, 34mins of phone calls, played a few hands of texas hold'em or blackjack from time to time, email's and txt'ing etc.

So I went a least another 8-10 hrs or so after receiving the 20% warning still using it to text, surf and make a few phone calls. I thought this was pretty amazing, what do you all think. Is it normal to go 8 hours with moderate use after receiving the 20% warning??

15. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

This is what happens when the battery meter hasn't been calibrated. When you keep recharging and recharging as soon as it's gone down to 60%, 50% or whatever, the meter has never seen the bottom of the battery so to speak.

In order for it to properly approximate the remaining power, you need to calibrate it by running the battery all the way down (which is what you've done now, apparently). The first time you do this, the meter usually slows down as it gradually discovers that the battery had more juice than originally estimated. The next time, it will take longer before you reach 20%, but it will go quicker from 20% to nothing. Recalibration should be performed once a month.

16. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

That's nothing - I went three hours at 100%! Of course, when I rebooted ... ;)

[​IMG]