Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

professorjay

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2007
I love macOS and iPadOS, but when it comes to phones I prefer native Android. I'm really happy w/ my past 2 Pixel phones except for one thing: at the 2.5 - 3 yr mark, the battery life suddenly tanks. I would be very satisfied to use this at least 1-2 more yrs but it's not realistic just because of this. I'm not a power user on the phone, I leave that to the Macbook and iPad but it barely finishes the day when I barely touch it.

With the SE pricing, widgets, and processor, I'm more open to switching.

iPhone owners, what's your battery life like at 3 years+? When do you notice a degradation that makes it struggle to last a day?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Mine is always pretty poor after a while so I just replace the battery every 2 years as we keep our phones for 4 years in our house.

Reactions: professorjay

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My X will be 3yrs old in December and the battery capacity is 89%. I feel this is perfectly acceptable and when I get the 6.1 12Pro this December I plan on having the battery replaced in the X so I can keep it as a backup device..

professorjay

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Every battery will degrade, after 12-18 months it is reasonable to replace it.
It is not that expensive, why bother with the hassle of constantly having to recharge?

That's true. Apple's replacement is a little more appealing, it's cheaper and directly with Apple. Can they do it in store while you wait?

With my Pixel 2 I'll have to take it to a 3rd party and it looks like it will be ~$80 $129. I will consider that. Hmmm....

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
That's true. Apple's replacement is a little more appealing, it's cheaper and directly with Apple. Can they do it in store while you wait?

With my Pixel 2 I'll have to take it to a 3rd party and it looks like it will be ~$80. I will consider that.
When I had my 6S done by Apple they had me make an appointment then I dropped the phone off and they told me to find something to do for an hour. I ended up going to a coffee shop in the same area and they texted me after 45 minutes saying the phone was ready to be picked up..

Sam_andrea

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020

With my Pixel 2 I'll have to take it to a 3rd party and it looks like it will be ~$80 $129. I will consider that. Hmmm....
You need to tell Apple you need the phone back the same day, they will set you up with an appointment and get it done.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The battery can outlast the useful life of the iPhone or get ruined within a year. It all depends on how you charge and discharge it

Gaelic83

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2017
I love macOS and iPadOS, but when it comes to phones I prefer native Android. I'm really happy w/ my past 2 Pixel phones except for one thing: at the 2.5 - 3 yr mark, the battery life suddenly tanks. I would be very satisfied to use this at least 1-2 more yrs but it's not realistic just because of this. I'm not a power user on the phone, I leave that to the Macbook and iPad but it barely finishes the day when I barely touch it.

With the SE pricing, widgets, and processor, I'm more open to switching.

iPhone owners, what's your battery life like at 3 years+? When do you notice a degradation that makes it struggle to last a day?
My iPhone X will be 3 years old in December. I use it frequently during the day and it is at 90%. That's good enough for another year at least!

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
My X will be 3yrs old in December and the battery capacity is 89%. I feel this is perfectly acceptable and when I get the 6.1 12Pro this December I plan on having the battery replaced in the X so I can keep it as a backup device..

Matches my experience. I've never noticed any slowdown and never had any problem with battery life. I use wireless charging all the time.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.