iPhone Battery Life Fixed!!!! Thank you everyone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flightgamer, Oct 8, 2012.

1. flightgamer macrumors newbie

With the exception of my battery life I was loving my new phone. My battery life was approximately 3.5 hours, even with LTE off. You could practically watch it drop and it keeps you mentally tethered to the nearest charger. At first I tried draining and recharging the battery and that did help some. Battery life did improve to about 5.5 hours if I was careful how I used it. Finally I read these and other forums which mentioned I should "Reset all settings" because I had not set my phone up as new but had just backed up from a previous phone. Finally tried it and BAM, battery life without LTE is now ~10 hours with heavy use. Standby has also skyrocketed. Go to sleep with 100% left and wake up with 99%. That is more like it. I now can go 2-3 days without thinking about charging. Thanks everybody!!!!

2. jredecop macrumors 6502a

3. hifromtomorrow macrumors member

hifromtomorrow

I am now getting 36 hours with moderate use (3g only where I am in Australia).
    I am happy with the battery life.
    And all other aspects of the phone.
    I have said elsewhere here this is without doubt the best phone I have ever owned in 20 years of owning mobile phones.

:D

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

does this mean you have to re-set up all of your settings tho? Or can you just restore your phone?

5. flightgamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, I consistantly get an hour of heavy use per 10% drop now.

Shows you what this phone is theoretically capable of. Impressive. If you have set it up as new already try running it until it dies a couple times and then charge to 100%. Also maybe you only get 6-7 because you use LTE? I typically use 3g only unless I need LTE for a particularly needy browsing session. Good luck.

6. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Yes do tell about what happens when you reset. Do you have to resync to get your apps back or do the settings just change?

7. flightgamer thread starter macrumors newbie

hi from tomorrow (cool name)

I avoided the "reset all settings" from the settings section for days out of fear. I wish I hadn't of waited. I really only had to take 10 mins to reconfigure. You will have to re-log in to your wireless network, set your lock screen password up again, set your wallpaper, reset your time zone, etc. All your apps, etc are untouched so it is fast. It is pretty painless and TOTALLY worth it!!

----------

I'm no expert but I wish everyone luck and I can now say with certainty that this phone battery is AMAZING when working properly.

8. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Where do you go to switch off LTE? When you switch off LTE does the phone automatically go on to 3G?

9. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

settings / cellular

10. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I have decent battery life but nothing to write home about. I decided to take your advice and do the reset. Hoping I have the same luck! :D

11. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

text messages are untouched if you reset all settings?

12. flightgamer thread starter macrumors newbie

jlake02

I wish you well. I promise you that when working correctly the phone battery life is very impressive. Don't accept less. Take all of the advice from the forums and you will figure it out. Good luck.

13. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Correct.

It's surprising how much you lose. Wallpaper, sound settings, location settings, wifi settings... minor things you can fix in 10 minutes.

14. Scrub175 macrumors 6502

Scrub175

I observed a great increase in battery life as well, but this reset turned of most location and GPS services that once I restored dropped battery life. Not as bad as before reset.

15. Tridztan macrumors member

Do you loose you app folders when you reset all settings?

16. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

No you don't lose any app folders, everything remains intact. Only things that reset is your settings.

17. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

No

18. berniemakaveli macrumors regular

My battery life was pretty bad (4hours usage) but after a few charge cycles I'm now at 6 hours usage and 1 day 2 hours standby just using LTE browsing with 3 bars of LTE max at my house with 12% battery left. This is with location and notification on, icloud just syncing contacts, wifi off and one email account set to manual, no push or fetch.

I wonder if 'reset all settings' would improve it, because I'd love to be getting the 8-9 hours usage I see a lot on these forums, I didn't restore from backup though, I set up as new from the get go..

19. dcrumbaugh macrumors member

Ok. Just to be clear… mail accounts stay unchanged? Safari bookmarks? Springboard icon layout? iCloud info?

20. flightgamer thread starter macrumors newbie

It was the combo

For me, it seems it was the cycling of the battery plus the "reset all settings " that did the trick. It was almost as though once I "reset" it, I then had to teach i the OS again what a truly dead battery was and what 100% was so it could perform at its best. I have heard though that the reset is only helpful if you didn't set it up as a new phone (which I didn't). My 10 hrs is what I get with constant browsing of playing looping videos with LTE off and WiFi on.

21. arliu macrumors regular

I wanna try this....but should you have the battery charged at 100 when doing this or it doesn't matter?

22. flightgamer thread starter macrumors newbie

dcrumbaugh

I'm sure others know the answer, all I know is that I was surprised how little time it took to get back up and running. My phone has 25GB of stuff so I thought it was going to be a nightmare to reset but it wasn't.

----------

I don't think the state of your battery when you do the reset really matters (it didn't for me). But as soon as you are back up and running drain that battery until it wont turn back on then charge it uninterrupted to 100%. BTW, I would charge it for an hour or two beyond 100 since it may not know what 100 really is that first time. I actually cycled it twice but I don't know if that was helpful or not. Then see how it is working for you. Good luck. I hope it works out well for someone else too.

23. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Correct on all counts.

24. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

My iPhone 4 has always had exceptionally good battery life even though it was previously my mom's. She definitely wore the battery out before I got it. I wonder why people whine so much about it.

25. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

After you do this, run the battery to zero. (Preferably time it so it's 0% about the time you're going to sleep at night.) Then charge it all night while you sleep.