iPhone battery life increases as time passes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donm3ga, Aug 24, 2008.

1. donm3ga macrumors member

I just bought my iPhone about 4 days ago and have gone through 2 cycles. I'm getting about 16 hrs of standby with about 7 hours of usage. I see some amazing numbers on the battery life thread.

I was just wondering if the iPhone battery will increase in performance as time goes on. Performance meaning how long can the battery hold it's charge not how many cycles the batteries life can go through. Thanks!

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It really depends. Battery life is pretty unpredictable and can vary greatly from phone to phone.

3. bushido Suspended

bushido

not really, my iPhone which i have since july 12 died 5 times over the last 3 days

4. Maui19 macrumors regular

There is some conditioning of the battery that takes place over the first few drain/recharge cycles. My battery life improved greatly after a couple deep cycles (full drain, then full recharge).

5. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Lithium-Ion batteries do pretty well after a few recharges. It is better to charge them in short spurts, rather than fully drain and recharge.

For more information on how Li-Ion batteries work, see here.

6. AndroidSUCKS macrumors newbie

"vary greatly from phone to phone"? so a phone with weak battery life is considered defective and the genius bar should swap it? or will the genius usually tell you that it's "normal" ?

how can they have such a big difference in performance between phones of the same model. they better not a problem with swapping it.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you have ridiculously poor battery life on a phone then of course a genius will exchange your phone. If you have acceptable battery life that may be an hour shorter than your friend's battery life then you may have a hard time getting that iPhone switched out.

8. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

As a chemist, I can educate you a little on Li-Ion battery charging.

If you start out with a car that has just been washed and is clean ... then spray water on it and let the water dry, you will notice water spots. On one side of the car, wipe off the water spots with a damp towel. Now put the car in a garage and wait a whole month or two before wiping off the water spots on the other side. When you go to wipe off the water spots on the second side, it is MUCH more difficult to get the water spots off. The same concept applies to a battery. A battery has metal ions in solution that plate out onto a cathode (think of salt in a glass of water), and in this process, electricity is generated. When you recharge the battery, the reverse process occurs. Now here's what applies to charging and discharging ... if you don't run the battery all the way down for 30 days, a bunch of the ions in the battery become stuck (like the water spots) and may not move into solution again (loss of battery capacity). The same concept applies to charging the battery all the way up. There are two ends (empty and full), and you need to get both ends into solution (complete discharge and complete charge) to prevent the ions from sticking and loss of battery capacity. You don't have to be obsessive though and go through a complete discharge-charge cycle every day or every few days. Apple's website advises that you run your battery all the way down and charge it all the way up at least once a month. My advice would be at least once every two weeks. Aside from that, charge and discharge however you want - it won't make a difference. When you first bought your phone, they told you to completely discharge and completely charge the battery ... that's because the phone was probably sitting on a warehouse shelf for two weeks or more.