iPhone battery life - restoring from backup is the issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mustgroove, Aug 5, 2010.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

I have had every model of iPhone since the original... and every time I have upgraded to a new model, I have restored from a backup of my previous one... Which means that the restore image which currently resides on my iPhone 4 dates all the way back to my iPhone 2G...

I just got my iPhone 4 today, and in the 9 hours it's been running, it's dropped to 70% battery (3G on, WiFi on, Bluetooth off, Push off, moderate but not crazyily heavy use), which seems a bit more than I was expecting... So I've been wondering...

Has anyone tested whether or not the iPhone 4 (or any model really) has better battery life when it's just running clean & fresh after an OS update, without being restored from a previous backup? Can't help but imagine there's some setting in some pref file hanging over from an old old OS update which might be draining the battery more than it should...

2. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

I think that restoring from back up does affect the battery life. I've seen people recommend doing this when you have battery issues.

I'd try just restoring it and setting it up as a new iPhone. If you continue to have battery issues...take it to a genius. I had a problem with my battery on my old 3GS and they replaced it no problem.

3. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

This is a new phone so it's less a case of the battery not lasting as long as it used to, and more a case of just generally lousy battery life from the get-go...

Will try a fresh restore & see how it goes... and for those considering the same thing, there's also a way of rescuing your SMS database (and any other files that MobileMe won't sync) so you can get it back on the phone post-restore:

http://menoob.com/iphone/how-to-rec...s-photos-contacts-notes-sms-call-history-etc/