Iphone battery life/when to replace

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kick53rv3, May 3, 2009.

1. kick53rv3 macrumors newbie

Hi, i have a question about the battery life as my phone would get about 13 hours of standby and 10 min usage before it reach 20% battery life... that seems very short so i was wondering if it is time to replace it (although i only had it for about 2 month) and as i have applecare would it be free to replace battery?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You can take it in, and they'll most likely either replace it or else test it first and then replace it as necessary. The battery should easily last several years for daily use, and the amount of battery time you're describing is a lot less than expected (assuming you're bundling in the time you spend with apps, games, etc, in your usage time -- games and apps drain the battery probably faster than almost anything).

On the other hand, there are some other things that rarely are big deals -- if you have very weak signal in your area and your iPhone keeps going in and out of signal reception, the battery wears down very quickly (true of essentially all phones) in this scenario.

3. kick53rv3 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm i don't think apps were the case as the 13 hours was overnight (i unplugged it so i can move it close to my bed to use as an alarm) and the signal should be fine as i get full bar all the time (top floor on a hill at the dorm at UCLA)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Then take it in and they will most likely just replace it on the spot at the Apple Store. :)

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

My battery was starting to get horrible after having the iPhone for about 19 months. It would not charge to 100% and after a "full" charge, the % would drop to below 50 overnight. Since my warranty expired and didn't want to pay Apple $86 for a battery replacement, I went with iPodJuice (Milliamp). I paid $38 for the battery, battery replacement service and 1-3 day UPS shipping with tracking. The iPhone is on its way and I'll be receiving it on Monday. I'll let you know if I see an improvement in battery life.

Oh, and it has a 10 year warranty. If the battery dies within 10 years, iPodJuice will replace it for FREE! Battery and service will be free!

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If anyone is still using a first gen iPhone in 10 years, now that will be something!

But thank you for sharing about your replacement -- it's good to know what the options are, if mine comes to it. At ... about 13 months now, the battery is quite strong. But usually with consistent use, phone batteries last a few years.

7. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Now that I've had the phone back for almost a week, I see a noticeable improvement. My original battery would drop 50% just overnight in sleep mode, now it doesnt drop 1%.

I am having trouble charging to 100% though. I emailed iPodJuice and they suggest trying different charging accessories and were willing to diagnose it but if its the iPhone's issue and not the battery, I would have to pay for return shipping. I just don't have time to have it sent back again so I'll just stick with what I've got.

I would do business with them again. They have a decent turnover time but that also depends on your choice of return shipping, I chose 1-3 day UPS. They offer UPS ground up to UPS overnight.