iPhone battery life with Apple watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by vikingjunior, Apr 12, 2015.

1. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Do you think the iPhone is going to have drastic battery drain being connected to a watch all day? I haven't heard any reviews on this.

2. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

The iPhone and the Apple watch both are Bluetooth 4.0 LE so I don't think so.

3. XmeX macrumors regular

4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

My iPhone 6 lasts me all day and then some, and that's connected to my Pebble smart watch (both normal and low energy Bluetooth connections) and periodically to my cars integrated Bluetooth when I drive.

I think the phone will last fine. It's the watch I'm concerned about!

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

The affect the Pebble had on my 6 Plus was negligible. I don't think the Apple Watch is going to be much different; it should be fine.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It will be different. Your iphone 6+ (like mine) will have a even longer battery life with the Apple watch because we can actually reply to notifications from the watch without waking up our phones like we have to with the Pebble.

7. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

I think no.

8. Mathletics macrumors member

Mathletics

I don't think it will be a drastic drain at all. In theory we will need to use the iPhone much less when paired with an apple watch, so hopefully that will make up for the extra battery that bluetooth requires.

9. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

If the Apple Watch noticeably lowers the battery on the 6 Plus—well then RIP iPhone 6, 5S and 5 owners, lol.

Seriously though, since it is new hardware, the software might need to work out some bugs. I could see it potentially getting "stuck" and causing increased battery drain, but probably rare. I've had that happen with brand new iPhones over the years. My iPhone 4 in particular would get stuck from time to time and I'd pull it out of my pocket and it would be really warm, almost hot. Rebooting would kill the loop and cool it down. But sometimes it would also drain quickly from continually looking for data connections when I was in an area of poor service. And I mean rather quickly—around 20% an hour in my pocket when it would get "stuck." Difficult to explain. Software updates seemed to fix it.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I've had a Pebble watch paired with my 6+ for over 3 months and the battery impact has been non existent.

11. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Like others have said, I've had my iPhone 6 (and a 5 before that) paired to a Pebble for over a year. The effect on the battery is negligible. Whatever drain it causes is negated by the decreased use from not checking my phone every time I get a notification.

12. biosci macrumors 6502a

Screen on time is the biggest draining source or factor for the iPhone. So, the Apple Watch paired with Bluetooth LE will not be such an issue as the iPhone screen will be off. That is my opinion/reasoning.

13. XmeX macrumors regular

I use Bluetooth headset and yes the battery effected

14. codeboye macrumors member

I'm expecting it to be a tad be better for me... I use a Pebble Steel and UP24, which having both of those devices connected all day I'm sure creates a bit of a drain, but probably not by much...

15. parallax33 macrumors regular

I think don't know

16. daijholt, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

Won't make any difference. I have my pebble steel connected to my iPhone 24/7 and it makes absolutely zero difference to how long the battery lasts (thanks to the beauty of Bluetooth LE)

If anything, it'll improve your phones battery, because you can turn off "display on lock screen" for every notification and stop them lighting up your screen 1000 times a day for 5 seconds at a time.

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

Then you have a poor Bluetooth headset. I use both a Bluetooth headset and a Pebble and neither have had an significant or noticeable impact on my iPhone's battery.

18. GmDude66 macrumors 6502

Yes, Bluetooth 4.0 LE is VERY efficient. You probably won't even notice the extra drain.

19. XmeX macrumors regular