iPhone battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by simplisticview, Jan 26, 2011.

1. simplisticview macrumors newbie

I'm using an iPhone 4. Does it shorten the battery life if:
    1. Push notifications are enabled but there aren't any notifications?
    2. Wi-Fi/3G is enabled but I'm not using the internet?

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

1) Yes, since your phone maintains a connection to the Push server.
    2) Yes

3. simplisticview thread starter macrumors newbie

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I find the battery drain on Push to be small, compared to 3G.

5. simplisticview thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't use Push as much, so I might as well turn it off. I'm guessing that since Push & Wi-Fi/3G both consume battery when not in use, Location Services also consume battery? But there's no point if I turn it off, since Find My iPhone won't work. Does anyone know if Location Services consumes a lot of battery?

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Location Services only consume battery charge when using an app that uses the service. Some apps that use location services, use more, some use less. It really depends on the accuracy that the app is using and how often it uses it. Some apps only use it once, when you open them, and some use it continuously while open.

7. simplisticview thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks. I guess I'll just turn it on when I need it then.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I know that everyone's use is different, but FWIW, I leave push and location services turned on and get a full day out of my battery, unless I'm running the iPod or playing games.

9. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I have push on and use 3G only...no wifi. I get 1 day out of my iPhone as long as I don't browse the internet alot or play too many games.

10. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

11. simplisticview thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried turning them all off, my phone managed to last 2 days. I played a few games, it was down to 30% :D

12. Pomeless macrumors regular

Just got my iPhone 4 yesterday!! Been tinkering with the thing all day so no surprise that my battery is getting low at days end. Nevertheless I've always had problems with battery life on my previous phones when I'm at work. I've always figured that it was due to my office being located in the Château d'If and an endless search for service. Do any of you experienced iPhone users have tips that would help extend my charges?

13. fears macrumors newbie

I've just got used to charging mine everyday now, i listen to the radio through wifi quite a lot and that just eats up the battery!

14. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I never understood how on iphone Push services drain the battery more than Polling the server... since isn't Push by it's very nature supposed to push new items to the phone without the phone needing to connect to anything to poll?? Maybe I am confusing it to how BB did Push services.... but the BB never had to connect to or log onto anything to check for new items, as the server pushed them to the phone automatically without the phone needing to connect first, so it was actually better for battery life. Why does the iphone need to maintain a connection for push services?? Is it really not true push at all then?

15. ImStrapped macrumors member

Also, jus be sure to watch the amount of apps you're running in the background. I always find myself running 20 apps without realizing it until my batt is half dead in 3 hours lol. And when it comes to push, yes it definitely makes a difference on the battery life.