iPhone 5 or earlier iPhone Battery Oddity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dave Braine, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Every now and then when I turn my iPhone 5S on, it will display the Low Battery icon with the "Connect to power" instruction. Now, this is strange, as when I turned it off, it had plenty of battery life showing.

So, I plug it in to the charger, it powers up, the normal screen appears, and then within a few seconds it's showing the battery life that was displayed before it was switched off. Disconnect from the charger and it carries on as normal.

Coconut Battery shows it as 90% of original capacity.

Has anyone else had this?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Does your battery last all day? Some of the battery apps can give misleading results. If you are on your original battery, there is a good chance you need it replaced

3. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

I would trust Coconut Battery and not worry about that message. You should be fine on battery life as long as your phone doesn't shut down on you.

4. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, apart from the above everything is normal.

Yes, I was just wondering if anyone else had had it.

5. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

I’ve had that happen to me on an iPod touch before so yes. But I just used it till it died and then I’d recharge it

6. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, but my point is, is that it doesn't need recharging. As soon as I plug it in it indicates the battery level that it had before it was turned off(50, 60, 70, 90% or whatever). I unplug it, and it carries on as normal.

7. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

I'd run it all the way down (like plug it in and let it show the charge that it was showing before, then unplug it and use it until it shuts down). Recharge it and see how it does. In addition, try a hard reboot (from the home screen, hold down home and power and wait until the screen flashes and you see the apple logo, then release the two buttons) You might also want to try a DFU restore. Be sure to back up your data before doing so.