iPhone 8(+) iPhone battery percentage increases after restart

AMSOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I normally charge my iPhone 8 up to 80 to 85%.

I've noticed that every time switch it off and then on, the available battery percentage increases by a couple of points.

e.g. I often see 82% when I take if off charge, but 84% when I have restarted it right afterwards.

First, why does this happen?

Second, does this have anything to do with battery health?

Thanks

ericwn

macrumors 601
Apr 24, 2016
I think the battery percentage in the status bar is an estimate. When you use your phone for a while you probably have more background processes running compared to a device freshly restarted.

Reactions: chabig

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
If you've not charged to 100% in a while the charge controller may not have a good idea of how much capacity the battery has.

Let it run down to 0%, then charge it all the way up to 100%. That should teach the controller the current battery parameters, and things shouldn't get weird again for a while.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think the battery percentage in the status bar is an estimate. When you use your phone for a while you probably have more background processes running compared to a device freshly restarted.
It is basically an estimate for the most part. It shouldn't fluctuate by too much, but a few percent here and there after a restart won't be that unusual.
- - Post merged: - -

I've seen my phone deviate a lot more than that. A couple times 20%
That would usually mean either the battery meter is quite a bit off and might need to be recalibrated (as mentioned in a previous post), and/or that the battery health isn't all that great.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.