iPhone battery problem on iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Eric8199, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

So I've had an old battery problem pop back up on my iPhone 3GS.

This happened a few months ago, quit, and now is happening again. My battery will drain rather quickly, like quicker than it seems it should. In reality, its literally dropping like 5-10% instantly, although I rarely see it happening. When I plug it in to charge it, it will instantly jump back up that percentage, anywhere from 5-20% sometimes.

It did this before, and then suddenly fixed itself. I've had it go to 20% or whatever, and I get the warning that battery is low, etc., so this isn't a indicator calibration problem I don't think. It seems to be legitimately losing battery life.

I have not checked with an Apple store on this as the closest one is about three hours away. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if they've had their phone replaced by Apple, or came up with another solution.

Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

2. sshams95 macrumors member

just got my 3gs replaced by Apple Store last night, they do a little diagnostic on it and just swap it out. Mine was not as bad as yours, so perhaps the 3 hour drive will be worth it.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If it's out of calibration, then the 20% indicator means nothing. It may not actually be at 20%, but the meter thinks it is and you get that warning. You might still benefit from calibrating your battery. Also, you might do a restore, since they'll ask you if you did one anyway.

4. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just ran my battery dead and am currently recharging. Dropped from 59% to 20% in five minutes. When it hit 3%, it shut off. We'll see if this fixes it. If not, I'll be restoring it in a couple days, and if that doesn't fix it, off to the Apple Store.

My wife has an iPod Touch as well that has the accelerometer not centered, so maybe we can kill two birds with one stone on that trip.