iPhone battery questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel3102, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

1 I was wondering if there is a way to see how many charge cycles and battery capacity you have left on an iPhone? I have tried using iBackupBot, but it says I have used 15 cycles, but my iPhone is 2 1/2 weeks old, and I usually charge it up from 60%. So, is it possible that I have only used 15 cycles?

2 At what percentage should I charge my iPhone? Like I said, I usually use it untill 60%, but I was wondering if thats ok? I read that with Li ion batteries you should do shallow charges, is that true? My main concern is that I am on a 2 year contract and I am very conscious of keeping my battery healthy. Should I even worry about when to charge?

Any advice on my questions and iPhone batteries in general would be appreciated! Thanks!!!:)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's no way to change it, and personally, I'd no worry about what cycles you have as long as the battery is performing as you expect it too.

3. Ffosse, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

Ffosse macrumors 65816

I use Battery Doc - 69p from the App Store. Here is my iPhone 5:

[​IMG]

It's less than a year old and has hardly been used.

[​IMG]

4. Daniel3102, Jul 17, 2014

Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

[/COLOR]
    Hey what is the app in the second pic? That seems pretty cool!

5. marvinroy macrumors newbie

If you want your battery to have a long backup then first charge your battery to full to the 100% level. Dont put it to charge again until you have fully discharge your battery... here fully discharge means to almost 2% battery remaining. You have to discharge your smartphone battery to 0% once or twice a month this whole process is called battery calibration, it makes your battery work perfectly.

6. Ffosse macrumors 65816

That one is PowerGuard, which is free, gives you details about warranty, when the device was manufactured and first activated.

7. kellyferguson, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

kellyferguson macrumors newbie

I have had an iPhone 4 with iOS5 for about 6 months. Is it good to wait for the battery to be almost 0% to recharge it?

Centre Court Pokie

8. juanrp, Jul 17, 2014

juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

It's only a good idea to bring it down to 0% during your monthly battery calibration.

(I have them scheduled 2 years in advanced :D)

Lithium-ion batteries aren't supposed to discharge completely, some reports say.

I usually don't let my devices discharge. I put my iPod touch to charge when it hits 20% and the battery is good.
    My iPad mini sometimes runs down but I have that one plugged in all day till I get home, it usually lasts a long time.
    My iPhone battery has gone to complete crap (I purchased the 4 before I cared about battery) and that one has to be constantly plugged in or it gets hot and drains quickly.

Li-ion are not designed for a discharge to 0%

-Juan

9. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Use your phone however your schedule dictates. Don't worry about charging it if it passes a certain percentage. Just plug it in whenever convenient. And most of us will replace the phone with new model before the battery degrades.

10. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I got it :)

----------

I think that's what I've been doing! I've been worrying about what percentage to charge it up! I notice that I do worry about it a little too much. I'm just worried about 1 1/2 years from now, the battery is going to be bad and I'll still be on contract! Lol!

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

^^^^THIS^^^^

To much obcessing about the battery. I have had ever iPhone and you just use it and charge when you are sleeping. Never run it down to dead or calibrate unless you are having a problem. Had the 5 and 5S and never ran either down or did a calibrate.:(

Just use you phone and quit the worrying and enjoy!:apple:

----------

Not true:rolleyes:

12. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

That, my friend, is some great advice :) I defiantly should worry less about it! I guess I'm a little OCD about it, but I think I can learn to stop worrying about it! Lol. Thanks! :apple: :apple: :apple:

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Thanks Daniel. I hope you enjoy your new iPhone, they ARE the best!:apple:

14. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I do enjoy it! Coming from the ipod touch 5g, its a nice upgrade :D But anyways, I will DEFINITELY learn to relax and enjoy the iPhone experience without feeling guilty about charging from 60%! Lol

15. Ffosse macrumors 65816

Generally I keep mine between around 30 to 90%, but there is no harm in it occasionally discharging to 10% (say once every six weeks) then charging to full.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Would it not be more easy to just not worry about it at all?

17. Ffosse macrumors 65816

But I don't worry about it at all.

That said, good apps like I listed above don't do any harm.

18. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

guess what?! I did something really bad, I let it go to 37%! I like this not worrying about it thing! I like the battery apps just to make sure I'm not destroying my battery. :)

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Bad?

20. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh because I usually let it only go to 60 :) I think I worry about the battery too much :eek:

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's really no bad for the battery, short of having it too hot or too cold or leaving it unused for longer periods of time. That's pretty much it--using it (as in charging it and discharging it) is all good, the percentages and/or how full or empty it is as it's being regularly used really don't matter.

22. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's good to hear :D I read that they only get a certain ammount of charge cycles, so it kinda scared me :confused: What percentage do you charge at? Also, if I have the ability to keep it charged, should I do shallow charges?

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Any percentage that I feel like. Sometimes I top things off if I think I might need it. Sometimes I will use up most of the battery through the day and don't plug it in to charge until I'm going to bed when it's practically at 0% if not actually there. Sometimes I will charge it as I drive when it's around 30% and sometimes it's only there at the end of the day depending on my usage. Basically no particular percentage or time or anything like that. There's no real point to worry about that kind of thing.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No need to convince me:p