iPhone Battery Replacement Process at Apple Store Non-Warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by caranddriver, Sep 13, 2016.

1. caranddriver, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

caranddriver macrumors regular

I tried searching on here and Google and most posts are related to battery replacements under warranty, recall or AppleCare.

What is the process for a standard non-warranty iPhone battery replacement at an Apple Store? I have an iPhone 6 and think I'll be waiting for the next version after the 7. I read that it is currently $79 plus $6.95 shipping.

Does the Apple Store Genius do it while I wait? Does the Genius ship it away for servicing (if so, how long does it take)? Do I get a refurb?

Added: I've also thought about taking it to well-rated 3rd-party repairers near me (I live in San Jose area) so there are some skilled ones. I just don't know how well the batteries last; however, I could have them fix the vibrate switch that is doing odd things occasionally. They charge $39.

Thanks for any help and information!

2. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

Changed my own battery for my 6s plus. Took 5 minutes

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes they do it in store providing your screen and chassis are not damaged.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Stores can vary and some my not be able to do it on the spot while others can. Ability to give loaners is also depending on the store.

5. caranddriver thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the thoughts so far. Definitely not up for doing it myself. :)

6. cashinstinct macrumors newbie

I was about the post the same question, regarding an iPhone 6.

They might do it on site or send it for repairs
    I read that people under AppleCare+ or under warranty get a loaner if the store offers it. Nothing specified for people out of warranty.
    https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

____

I know I could change the battery myself, but considering the price charged by Apple, I prefer them to do it.

However, they "battery diagnostics" says that my battery is alright... I am unsure changing the battery will really help or not.