iPhone battery self combustion

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tancg17, Dec 22, 2011.

1. tancg17 macrumors newbie

Really scary, spewed black smoke, black carbon dust around, the stench is horrible!

Attached Files:

2. Brad02 macrumors regular

Wow! What model is this? 4, or 4s? All these recent battery threads have me worried.

3. Jamkas macrumors member

That's a sight.

Have you spoken to Apple yet?

I'd like to know what they say about this and what they'll do to compensate for your recent issue other than just a new phone.

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

wowza!

That's incredible! What were you doing at the time?

5. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

6. Brad02 macrumors regular

For now I'm not doing anymore overnight charging on my 4s. I don't want it to catch on fire while I'm sleeping. There's been way too many reports of fires recently.

7. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Haven't/don't plan on ever charging my 4S overnight. It worries me for some reason, even know many say that it does no harm.

8. tancg17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything was smooth, the battery was very slightly soft and not even bloated.

After replacing the back case, i realised, it can't fit in smoothly, so i removed the back case to see whats wrong... and then the battery started to bloat up like in really slow mo then.. HISSED and POOOOF spewing dark smoke and the phone was very very hot! the table was burnt as well!

Apple says to wait for their engineers instruction. Still waiting.

9. Brad02 macrumors regular

So you replaced the back on your phone and then this happened? What model iPhone do you have?

10. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

Holy crap...I'm trying really hard right now not to think about what could happen if this was in my pants pocket.

What model was this anyway?

11. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Please note, this was someone opening up their phone, so it's hard to say what may have had an effect on it and caused this.

Did you change anything else? Did you remove the battery?

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

So with the aftermarket iPhone back, it sounds like it forced the battery or crunched the battery in the casing... is this correct?

I dunno... Everyone freaking out about batteries exploding need to understand the difference between people tinkering and breaking something and something just breaking. Also think of the MILLIONS of other iPhones out there that are charged overnight and don't ever explode.