Iphone battery shutdown before 0%

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by mich070, May 26, 2014.

1. mich070 macrumors regular

Good afternoon guys!

My iphone 5 ios 7.1.1 shuts down at 4% all the time and is never able to run under these 4%.. can somebody tell me if it is a big issue or just a recalibrating thing with the battery. Thank you for ur help!

2. I7guy macrumors G5

If you are not experiencing random decreasing battery life, it sounds like a calibration issue.

You could always bring it into the apple store and let the run diagnostics to see if your battery is within specs.

3. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Mine usually shuts off at 2% on my iPhone 4 and iPad mini, and 3% on my iPod touch when I had it.

It's perfectly normal - the battery will not go down to 0% as the device shuts down before that to prevent damage to the battery. Batteries seriously do not like to be completely discharged.

4. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

My iPhone 5 has the same issue. Sometimes it just turns off with the percentage between 7% and 16%. When I try to turn it on, it shows that I have to plug it in. If I try again a couple of minutes later it will turn on with the same percentage as when it shut down. Very annoying!

5. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Well now you know when your phone shuts down. I don't see the problem here.

I don't know if this will help but turn off battery percentages in settings, restart your phone by holding lock and home buttons until the Apple logo appears, turn it back on and maybe that'll fix it.

6. mich070 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i tried this, but i just want to know if it is a normal thing or not... because any the battery is not really behaving as it should. and before, even if i didn t let my phone go down to 0% i knew that it would, now sometimes it s switching off at 6%, 4% or 3% around this

7. afsnyder macrumors 65816

It's a minor calibration issue. My iPod has that issue. Batteries go bad after a while... is your battery functioning normally?

8. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

OMG the world will end. Those extra 3 percent are so useful.
    Seriously, I never get down to 1% either. I stopped caring.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The threads I've read where an iPhone 5 is shutting down before 0% is due to the battery itself. The only solutions I've seen are the folks getting replacement batteries. I'd let a genius take a look at it and see if they can offer up a free solution. You can always buy a battery out-of-pocket but for 4% I wouldn't. But if it was happing at 35% like my coworker's then I definitely would.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

I wouldn't really say it's all that normal, and certainly not perfectly normal. The devices normally would go down to 0%--well, technically speaking to 1% and after being at that for a bit just to shutting down the phone. While it's not great in an overall sense to always discharge the battery fully, if it happens here or there there's really no meaningful damage being done.

11. mich070 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank u for ur really nice and helpful answer! That's all i wanted to know :)!