iphone battery! whats going on!?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by billyjoegibsonx, Feb 20, 2010.

1. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Hey!

going to try keep this short and sweet since i just typed out loads and my browser decided to log me out! lol!

right so here it is:

yesterday 11:20am. got a replacement iphone 3gs. came home sync'd and fully charged phone. used as normal for texting/surfing wifi/gprs. 1/4 brightness. no 3g, location services or push. battery indicator went down a little but after another few hours of using i noticed it wasnt going down so checked percentage and it had only moved 1% I was so happy with excellent battery performance. Went to use phone later but the phone had turned off! why would it turn off with about 3/4 full battery? Okay so when i went to sleep i had bout 50-60% battery. on standby all night. woke up with bout 40-50% battery. decided to plug in phone for 20-30 minutes for extra juice. battery goes red and down to 16%! WHY!? a few hours later of usage, was still at 16% so turned phone off a few minutes. was up at 56% great i thought! now that was 4-5 hours ago and im at 42% battery.

since yesterdays full charge after getting the phone ive had 4 hours 20 minutes of usage and 22hours 40 minutes standby. but i've had it plugged in 20-30 minutes this morning aswell. should i just calibrate my battery to stop it gettingconfused or take it back? cause it certainly shouldnt be turning off at 3/4 full battery and showing 16% battery when i unplugged from charging the phone up from 40 or so %.

please reply!

2. nimski62 macrumors regular

take it back..

had a 3gs like this once and multiple restores didn't solve the problem.

3. firewood macrumors 604

Calibrate it. At least one, maybe 2 full cycles, with no half charge/discharges. Until then the battery gauge is just making wild guesses, because it's never seen that battery before.

4. billyjoegibsonx thread starter macrumors 6502

okay thats what i was thinking of doing, and is what i'am doing atm. have it on charge plugged into my macbook. if it still does this then i should take it back?

also, what is there to explain my iphone suddenly turning off (happened twice now) while having 3/4 battery OR being on charge? Second time it happened, just within the last 5 minutes, it was plugged and charging into itunes. It still appeared in iTunes but there was no battery indicator beside the name of my iphone, so i unplugged it, and connected it again and then the :apple: came up.

5. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

6. DaZe3 macrumors member

since the 3.1.3 update my battery has been so much better

7. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I didn't know the new 3.1.3 was fixing battery issues.