iPhone becomes iPod Touch??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1984MacDude, Oct 7, 2009.

1. 1984MacDude macrumors newbie

Does anyone have PROOF that an iPhone becomes an iPod Touch without the SIM card? I want full functionality (music, photos, video, Wi-Fi) PLUS the camera. An Apple chat person says once a SIM-less iPhone logs into an iTunes account it essentially locks up and becomes a paperweight! However a rep at my local Apple Store says the only function missing from a SIM-less iPhone is the ability to make/receive calls. Comments anyone?

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I can take my SIM card out at any time and it will function as an iPod. You only have to put the SIM back in when you restore... or else it won't activate.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My wife users her iPhone SIM-less and it works just like an iPod touch with a camera. She hasn't been locked out after syncing with iTunes. Just don't do a restore or you'll be sunk unless someone else in the household has an iPhone.

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Updating is fine... it's restoring that will screw up the iPhone. When you restore, it has to re-activate with Apple's servers and if it doesn't have the original SIM card, the iPhone will not unlock and you won't be able to access iPod or any of the apps.

5. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Yep ... I tested this when I was thinking of using our old 2G iPhones for iPods

6. jbplaya macrumors member

Just jailbreak the sucker. Boom, problem over

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

He doesn't need to jailbreak.

8. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

when I gave my friend my old 2G, we had to put in my SIM card to update and even sync in general. any time he connected it to his computer, I had to come over and put in my SIM card

9. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Well you shouldn't have to do that. Your friend is doing something wrong! I have the Original iPhone, and when I plug it in to my PC, it syncs fine, even with out the sim card in it. I just can update the OS with out the sim card. I can even restore with out the sim. If your saying your friend needs the sim card in the iphone every time it syncs with iTunes, your doing something wrong.

10. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

we did nothing wrong. he would plug it in and immediately the 'connect to itunes' symbol came up. the only way we got it to go away was by putting the SIM card in. idk if they changed it or what but it doesn't matter know because now he has my old 3G with a SIM card now that he's on AT&T