iPhone Bezel and Back coming apart

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SamusKay, Mar 22, 2010.

1. SamusKay macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I have yet another problem with my iPhone 3G. The bezel and case are coming apart. :eek:

This is only happening in the top right corner, by the lock button. It is about 2mm the gap and means you can have a glimpse of the innards. The gap then closes up slowly running down the same side.

This is also causing the vibrate not to function correctly. When holding the case together it functions normally *touch wood*.

Any ideas on how to keep the case together permanently, or should I take it apart and see if anythings forcing it apart.

I'll try and get a pic up sometime to show how it's parting.

Thanks.

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

3. SamusKay thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the reply. Nope no warranty..

I'll look at the guide and attempt it if someone reckons it would sort this.
    Could somebody just check the pictures and say whether or not they think it would.

Pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone think super glue could be an idea?...
    Cheers.

4. Skinfaxi macrumors member

I had the same problem. I had 2yr applecare, though, and they replaced it.

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Glue it. take the iPhone apart first though. The logic board is screwed into the black plastic. Then the silver bezel is held on with glue to the plastic. The LDc assembly has tabs at the top that snap into the silver bezel, and the display assembly's bottom is held on to the plastic with screws. So get gorilla glue, and glue the bezel to the plastic like it was manufactured.

http://s1.guide-images.ifixit.com/igi/PidOJN3NMK1ZypTG.large This picture shows how they should remain together. I would remove JUST the screen assembly, and glue the bezel. But becareful NOT to get glue on the electronics.

6. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Apple never fixed mine when it was under Apple Care. Oh well.

7. SamusKay thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so you think I don't need to take everything out then?

Just the screen out then glue it carefully.

I'll have a go tomorrow.

Cheers for the help. :)

8. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Yes. If you think you can't use the glue just on the bezel, or it mught spill, remove the guts. I've never done it, but if you think you can do it w/o getting glue on the logic board, keep the guts in... if not, remove them.

9. andrewsd macrumors 6502

I have cracks

I have a nice one inch crack coming up from the dock connector. It's awesome.

10. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Same, and on the back of my phone.

11. Skinfaxi macrumors member

I had dust under the glass as well as a silent button that fell off. Got the refurb in the mail today.

12. SamusKay thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I'll judge it once I'm in. Is there any special glue I should be using?

Cheers.

13. smeddles macrumors newbie

i have the same problem and when the gap is left open headphones only play out of one ear but when u push down on the gap it plays with both could this be a loose flex cable?

14. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

If you have steady hands glue and clamp. If all else fails it's time to upgrade soon:cool:

15. saadahmed786 macrumors newbie

apple uses the cement glue. its available at walmart in the crafts section. youll be good to go!