Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceehjayem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
I'm being a bit picky here but does anyone else get a 3G S that has a bezel that is not completely flushed with the plastic casing? When holding it on the sides I can feel a semi-sharp separation between the two.

Anyone ever take it to a genius bar for repair/replacement? Does Apple do anything about it or am I SOL? Thanks for the responses in advance.

JohnFa

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
That's the case with all iPhones 3G's (never owned a 2G, so I'm not sure).
I was also a picky with this until I read that 99% of iPhones have the same issue. Guess it's supposed to be that way.

Mikel30

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
I don't have a 3G S, but I was looking at them at the Apple Store. After reading that some people were having issues with this, I felt the side of it to see if the demo units were "sharp" too. They were. I doubt I would have noticed it unless I looked for it, but it does feel like there's an edge there. So this is definitely a widespread thing, but I don't know if it qualifies for a replacement

SHAWNYMAC

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
JERSEY SHORE
hey guys.....ijust got back from the apple store.....bought my 3gs yesterday noticed the right side bezel was not flush

went back today and showed an employee who agreed that it was bad....
you will not believe me now....after unboxing 4 phones....the manager came to me and said we must of a bad batch of phones.....the demos were all perfect....i called up apple made a case number they told me i have a full year to return it no problem.....i am gonna wait a couple weeks and wait till the inventory cycles.....all i have to say is i am not happy.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
My iPhone 3G plastic back is perfectly flush with the bezel. I've had an iPhone 3G that had a misaligned bezel but I returned it and the new one is perfect. I wouldn't say that 99% of iPhone 3G's have this problem.

Also, if you're familiar with me, when *I* say perfectly flush, I'm not making it up... I'm super picky.

ceehjayem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
So is it pretty easy to get a replacement? Just show them the bezel and they'll swap it out?

dusters711

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Is it possible to do this without going to the store? I ordered from the apple store online and I don't want to travel all the way to the nearest apple store which is super far away. Will they send me a new one and I send mine back or will I have to send mine back first and wait for the replacement? Mine definitely has the same issue and I am undecided if it is that big of a deal to me anyway. Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.