iPhone black line on contact picture...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LewisB, Aug 18, 2008.

1. LewisB macrumors member

Hello, I hope someone can help me! LOL.

Basically, I have have contact pictures for about 10 people on my iPhone. Whenever I receive a call from someone or make a call, their picture has a thickish line going across the screen (vertical) just under the contact name...

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any idea why it does this and how I can fix the problem?

I have restored the iphone, I have changed the contact picture etc... But it still comes up every time... As you can see from the picture above, I dont think it is supposed to do it as the above picture shows a picture without a black line going accross...

Please someone help me, it's so annoying :-s

2. elbirth macrumors 65816

are you talking about the black bar that the word "mobile" is in? that's supposed to be there. it's part of the white bar above it, which together make up a rounded look on a bar.

I kind of hope for your sake there's something I'm just not seeing and this isn't really it, because, well... yeah

3. LewisB thread starter macrumors member

Oh no, this I dont think is supposed to be there... Its just a thick black line. Its as if the screen has broke in that place and so nothing shows on it, but, it only happens when I place or receive a call

4. elbirth macrumors 65816

well maybe someone else can help or you can post a better picture, because I'm not seeing anything from that shot that looks out of the ordinary...

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

it all looks normal to me
    especially if it only appears when you get a phone call

6. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Well why don't you take a photo of YOUR phone and the problem so we can tell you?

7. LewisB thread starter macrumors member

Sorry... My bad, that picture is not my phone! lol. Got it from Google Images...

I just put it up just to show peeps what screen I was talking about

8. appledrone macrumors regular

errr - vertical?

and yes that is normal

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If other phones are doing it, wouldn't that be a potential indicator that your phone isn't defective?

And yes, it is normal. My iPhone 3G does it, my friend's 3G does it, and both of our first-gens have done it since we first got them with 1.0 firmware. It's a shading effect, and it's normal.

If you don't beleive that, fine, but here's something else to screw with your mind: what about that thick whitish bar above the thick dark line? :D

10. LewisB thread starter macrumors member

Actually, it's my fault for not explaining properly...

I know its a gradient on that section, but on my phone, its a thick straight cut line. No fade or anything... Plus, my understanding is that you can still see the contact picture though the fade but you cant on my phone. Its a totally black thick line...

If i could take a picture I would... :(

11. LewisB thread starter macrumors member

I have attached a picture of the black line... Have created it in Paint to show you guys what it looks like

Attached Files:

12. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

Considering that line in your picture goes all the way onto the bevel edge I thing you are trying to pull a fast on on us. I am not buying this. Are you sure that is what it looks like? :confused: Try taking a picture with the home and off button and post that. :confused:

13. LewisB thread starter macrumors member

I just quickly did that in MS Paint. Im currently at work so cant take a picture yet...

But, I have just had a play about. It seems it is like that on the screensaver screen too... At the top, the bit where it is supposed to fade (white into the black) doesnt fad. Its just stops completely, white and then black, not white then gradual into black...?

14. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

Here is what mine and I am sure everyone else's looks. (less the whited out screen and faces )

[​IMG]

15. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Oh for god sake, he probably did it in 10 seconds. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be a pixel perfect representation of the problem!

:rolleyes:

16. LewisB thread starter macrumors member

Can you post a picture with a contact picture that is colour from top to bottom?

Its just so strange... The screensaver picture is fine. No black line going accross where the white meets the black. It blends in nicely... But on a contact picture when i call/receive a call, its a thick black line which 100% does not look right

17. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

My bad I got a little type happy :eek: I thought he said that was an actually picture and not that he had created it to show what he is seeing. :eek::eek: that is why I posted my actual shot from the phone. I guess untill we see it like mine we can not be sure. :)

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Does it actually COVER the lettering that's supposed to display, or is it in the background?

If in the background, I wouldn't worry about it.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure how you thought that would be helpful to us...and if the stock pic from Google looks the same as your phone, wouldn't that indicate that there's no problem?

20. dsegel macrumors newbie

His doesn't look the same. He posted the Google pic to show what *screen* it was happening on, not as an example of exactly what his looks like.

Doesn't anybody read any more?

21. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That black bar is not a black bar at all. The contact picture gets cropped if you sync your AddressBook contacts with your iPhone. Once they get on your computer, AddressBook crops it into a square, then if it gets synced BACK to the iPhone, it syncs the cropped version instead of the original full screen version.

22. LewisB thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I found that out couple days ago! :)