iPhone bluetooth car integration

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by oli2140, Aug 29, 2010.

1. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

My car doesn't have an aux in but I'd really like to be able to connect my iPhone to the car stereo so I can listen to songs as well as make and take calls all via bluetooth.

Does anyone have any solutions?! During my searches I found the Motorola T505 and the Venturi mini which look ok, it's just that they're coming up to 3 years old now and I can't believe that they're still the best way to connect up my phone.

Any input is appreciated!

Cheers,
    Oli

2. studmule macrumors regular

I have the Moto T505 and I love it. The battery life is great. The FM transmitter works well. I don't have an aux input, so it does everything I need.

3. oli2140 thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you find the battery life? I'm a bit worried with the moto that it's not designed to just run all the time through the cigarette lighter.

Also, am I right that with the T505, you simply just choose a song on the iPhone itself to get it started, is there a way of changing track etc without reaching for your phone?

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Another T505 user here. My only issue with it is their dumb method of choosing an FM channel to use--I'd much rather be able to type a channel in myself.

Other than that, I'm pleased. Wish I'd found out about it years ago!

5. meistervu macrumors 65816

still haven't found what I am looking for

I was looking for the same thing. I did not find a solution for me, but I will post my finding in case it helps someone.

I have a "high end" Bose stereo with a in dash cd changer and a cassette player. Long story short, there is no easy way to add a line in ( done my research). The cheaper solution is to get an aftermarket stereo. I don't like most head units out there: they all look really chessy: tiny buttons, plastic, awful led lights. Alpine makes a few that are more of my taste. There other large screen units seems to take a couple of minutes to boot, does navigation as well, but cost $1000 or more. Thieves magnet I think.

I tried FM modulators. None worked for me. And if you search, many people find them to be awful.

I wanted to be able to safely answer a phone call while driving. Bluetooth headset is not the answer because I often forget them or forgot to charge them, and I really don't want to fumble with a wired headset while driving. So I tried a few bluetooth speakerphones. The first one was crap.

Then I got a Blueant ST3 (the current model is ST4). It sounds great. The rechargeable battery lasts about a month for me. It will even voice dial with the iP4. Best of all, it demands no attention until I get a call, then it announces the call name at which point I could either push a button to answer or push another button or do nothing to reject (you also can answer by saying the right word by I never bothered with that). Its voice dial is great. You don't have to train the unit at all yet the accuracy is uncanny.

Even if I got a stereo with hand free option for my phone, I suspect I would still use my Blueant speakerphone. The reasons: I don't want to have to remember to turn on the stereo every time I get into the car just so that it's ready for my incoming calls, the same way I don't automatically turn on the stereo or TV when I get home.

For now I am using a tape adaptor and the sound is great. However, I am looking for nice car mount and charger for the time I use my Navigon GPS program.

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I'm not the right person to speak to battery life as my usage is probably well below the norms, so I'll leave that to someone else. But as to your second question: right now, you have to reach to the phone to switch songs, either using the iPod app by touch or starting and using voice control through the iPhone (still requires a button press). HOWEVER--the 4.1 firmware upgrade includes full Bluetooth integration, so at that point you'll be able to advance songs without having to touch the phone.

For my situation, I did not want the phone held down by the stereo where my power source is--I want to be able to see the screen both for iPod functions and for using navigation software. So I went with a vent mount Arkon universal phone mount from Amazon. The vent mount puts the phone at dashboard height, making it much easier to see and use. When my T505 needs charging, I generally take it inside and use a wall charger, though I can always take it down to use with the car charger as well. It still works just fine for me at a lower level.

7. oli2140 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info, I think I may have to purchase the T505 tomorrow or tuesday. I'll report back once I've got it!

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

If you plan to be able to charge away from your car, just be forewarned that the T505 doesn't come with a wall charger standard, only the car charger. I actually use the wall wart that came with the iPhone, and a mini USB cable that came with my Kindle--works just fine. I believe Motorola charges around $20 for theirs.

Also, if you've never used an FM transmitter, get the T505 from somewhere with a no questions asked return policy, if you can. The sound quality is good, but you can get some FM "hiss" between songs. And that quality will be dependent on what empty FM stations are available in your area. It's for this reason that a lot of people aren't satisfied with these devices.

It's a good quality transmitter, but within those limitations.