iPhone Bluetooth...Sftware or Hardware?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by harryjarman, Jun 30, 2008.

1. harryjarman macrumors newbie

Is the crippled nature of the iPhone bluetooth hardware or software?

2. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

software - the bt stack supports all profiles (about 25?) but the bt is crippled in the software :mad:

3. harryjarman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats good i guess because if someone or :apple: apple want to enable it in what ever way, then it is possible.

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, it would have to be Apple who fixes it, third-party developers don't have access to anything that low-level. And Apple obviously doesn't want to, otherwise they would have sometime in the last year.

5. darkshadow1337 macrumors newbie

it is the software that cripples the Bluetooth in the iPhone.

I just hope Apple will surprise us with better bluetooth, MMS etc... in the 2.0 frimware update.

6. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

it is generally the operators (T-Mo, o2, vodaphone, at&T) who insist on the BT crippling - I expect :apple: would be happy to open up the stack.

Sad but true :mad:

7. samab macrumors 6502a

Remember the $99 a year mobileme.com subscription service --- Apple won't open up the stack.

8. Archie- macrumors regular

Ha. Sad, but a big lie. AT&T's other smartphones have full stacks.

And dont make a mistake buying and iPhone hoping for an update. You should buy the iPhone for what it is now.

9. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Half right:

1. Operators DO cripple BT stacks (I'm sure AT&T have not on some phones but not all. There are many operators and many do cripple the BT for any number of reasons [££££££££])

2. YES - buy for what the iPhone offers now - there is no guarantee :apple: will open the kimono on anything!

10. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

I dont see how bluetooth would challenge mobileme? you can do most anything else over the usb anyway.. :confused:

11. harryjarman thread starter macrumors newbie

well, if everyone asks apple, then we might get it if there is a high demand, however, if hackers are able to unlock the iphones then surely they will be able to figure out a way of hacking the BT stacks.