iPhone bought in Thailand, no signal

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Shimfs, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Shimfs macrumors newbie

Hi guys
    I have been asked to help a friend, to fix his iphone 3G.
    The iPhone is bought in Thailand, and it worked fine, up untill the point where he tried to sync it with itunes. Afterwards, it has refused to gain any signal whatsoever.

I have checked the serial number on Apples website, to ensure it isn't a mock up, however, on the lock screen, under the clock, the language is some chinese stuff, while the rest of the phone is danish.

Do you guys think it needs to be unlocked? jailbroken, synced again or what?

2. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Phone probably locked to carrier? Do you guys just buy stuff w/o checking into whats what...

3. Shimfs thread starter macrumors newbie

I have had nothing to do with the iphone, i didn't even know about it, untill he had the problem.

The problem is, when he received it, he inserted his own SIM card, and it worked fine, signal and all.
    After the sync, it has stopped working, he can insert the card, write the code, and the bar that tells how strong the signal is, stays at 1, without writing his carrier name.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

the phone probably is software unlocked. When he first received the phone, it worked fine, he then hook it up to itunes and somehow restore it to the latest firmware and therefore, the unlocked is gone.

5. Shimfs thread starter macrumors newbie

so i have to jailbreak it with green poison? and then use ultra snow to get it to 4.2.1?

i don't have the time, to wait for a 4.3 unlock

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Greenpois0n will not work for 3G. Before you do any thing, can you find out the following info for me?

1. What is the firmware version on the phone?
    2. What is the baseband version on the phone?

Go to setting/general/about and you can find these info.

7. jdaniel macrumors 65816

yeah check your firmware and baseband and google for guides :)

He probably went and reset the phone and if it was software unlock then he un-did it... hopefully he didnt update the software and baseband to one that you cannot unlock... I am not sure about 3G phones.

8. Shimfs thread starter macrumors newbie

it had baseband 05.15.04, which usually cannot be unlocked, unless you update it to 6.xxxx which is an ipad baseband.
    The negative side is, i can never revert the change...

i have just jailbroken it, and i am about to unlock it. I have one question though.
    Even though i only enable the danish keyboard. It still uses Thai for some text -.- on the lock screen (the date) and standard keybaord o_O
    i wonder how i change that.

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

There are 2 sections in the setting that you need to change; Keyboard & International. Did you change both?

10. Shimfs thread starter macrumors newbie

oh i forgot the international bit.
    Most of the iphone is in danish, its only those two things i mentioned.
    but atm i got some troubles, i forgot to check deactivate (so i can use SAM)
    so i am jailbreaking it again (without updating the baseband again) but at the moment it is stuck at downloading jailbreak data to the phone

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

redo jailbreaking again should work. Are you using Redsn0w 0.9.6B6?

12. Shimfs thread starter macrumors newbie

i redid it, its installing the bundles now,

im using 0.9.6RC8

13. Shimfs thread starter macrumors newbie

i cant get it to work o_O
    i asked redsnow to deactivate the phone, but the phone still works as usual. And when i insert a SIM card, i get 1 tiny bar and no carrier name = no signal.

when i open SAM, i can chose hacktivate (its off by default) if i change that, it asks me to revert it to lockdown, which it says i have to do under utillities. When i do that, it said it was successfull. Then i go back to hacktivate, and it asks me to repeat it -.-

14. Shimfs thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh its factory activated.. need to know how to disable that