Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValinS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Ok this may have beens raised before but I live in Ireland and I'm actually shocked at what has happened with the iPhone. Apple gave exclusivity to O2 who's base demographic are young kids age 10-20. Vodafone have huge control over the business demo and Meteor have complete control of the 20-35 demo. And yet Apple give exclusivity to O2. But this is just one of many slaps in the face.

Next O2 are charging 100 euro a month if you want to use the web browser. Thats 157$ a month and that contract gives you 1000 minutes or texts and 1GB limit browsing. To put it in perspective my current N95 off Vodafone is 45 euro a month for unlimited browsing 3000 minutes or texts and the phone was heavily subsidized with the contract.

Then the exact same day the iPhone was released in Ireland it was also released in Austria on T-Mobile with a contract of 55 euro per month. with 3000 minutes, 3GB browsing, 1000 SMS and free access to T-Mobile wifi hotspots.

Most people over here flatly refuse to either buy the iPhone all together or the ever funnier thing is some major phone store's have a service where you drop in our iPhone and they unlock it and put you on whatever network you would like for 40 euro.

Any other Irish out there angry as well?

sweetice2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
i was annoyed at the ridiculous price plans they had in the uk at first, the refreshed them in january and are ok i spose but hell with i it i ebayed it and unlocked and popped my voda sim in it since my 3 contract wont work on it:( ... yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.