iphone brand new 1.1.2 screen quality question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ipaqman, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

hey all,

so i just purchased 2 brand new 1.1.2 iphones. one is a week 46 and the other is a week 48. I also have a week 42 1.1.1 iphone and when comparing the screens of the 2 1.1.2 iphones to my week 42 1.1.1 phone, the screens look different. the 1.1.1 iphones screen looks to be a little lighter gray in color when at the home screen whereas both the 1.1.2 iphones look to be dark black on the home screen and sort of have a little yellowish tint to them. Is this normal? I am pretty sure they dont have negative blacks do they? Anyone else notice this?

let me know.

thanks,
    ipaqman

2. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Not related to your issues, but why do you have 3+ iPhones? do you unlock / sell them on eBay?

Im pretty sure they fixed the negative blacks on most of the retails now.

3. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

yes i do unlock them and sell them on ebay, but i have one for myself. anyone else notice the difference in screens between 1.1.1 and 1.1.2?

4. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Sounds exactly like you have the same screen quality issues as quite a few people here and you have noticed it because you have more than one phone with different screens!

Have a look at my thread about UK screen quality and the negative black thread both below.

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

But only if you have a couple of hours to spare. ;)

6. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

the real question is why do you have so many iphones?

lol

but no, there is a topic some where that includes a pic of the jay z black album cover, sync that up to ur phone.

in the thread there are picture examples that if you have a bad screen.

7. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I've had 3 so far - a US one in August, and 2 UK ones (one had a lot of dead pixels). The US one was by far the best, case 100% lined up, buttons very sturdy, only slight issues at the very extreme of the top of the screen in the middle, where the backlight was slightly brighter and showed 2 "dots".

In contrast, my 2 UK ones are quite a bit worse, although not bad enough to take back, and only noticeable because I can compare. The first one had a lot of bright dead pixels, and a SLIGHT negative black issue.

The one I have now has a LOT (I mean 50+) of very dim dead pixels, which you can hardly see - even on black - unless you actually look for them, so I'm living with it. But, it also has other issues:- all 4 edges of the screen fade to a brighter colour, and the top to the bottom of the screen gently fades from lighter to darker (particularly noticeable with lists of songs in iTunes and the iPod album track selection (from now playing) where there are alternative light/dark shades, the darker shades get a lot darker towards the bottom of the list). Both UK iPhones also had slightly wobbly buttons, my first one's ringer switch was very stiff, the current one's home button is unresponsive sometimes (doesn't "click") but always works so it's not an issue, and the chrome has a slight gap in places.

None of these issues - even together - are enough to make me drive (again) to swap it, but it is a bit annoying! Particularly when I know how good they can be (US one)...