Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
My iPhone screen shut off and the phone has been vibrating for the last hour. None of the buttons work...holding down the Power+Home buttons does nothing, connecting it to the computer does nothing. The phone has gotten very hot from the constant vibrating.

I did the jailbreak earlier. Only installed SBSettings and did an update in Cydia that it said was available. That's it.

I did also have AdMob ads in Settings for some reason so obviously something else got installed on there but how/when?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
What were you doing with it when this happened?

I was in the car, trying to get Maps to put up but it wouldn't. I tried to pull up Yelp (was trying to find a restaurant) and that wouldn't pull data either. So I tried to make a phone call and that works...but data wasn't working. I went to Settings and "Reset All Settings" hoping that would get data working. It then went blank and started vibrating.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Yikes, is it an iPhone 4?

Yes, iPhone 4. At this point I assume it will vibrate until the battery dies. Im afraid to take it to Apple fearing they will able to turn it on/diagnose it and figure out it was jailbroken and void the warranty. This blows.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Anyone have any ideas? Im starting to panic over here.

darkhunter139

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
It seems other people have had this problem in the past with the iPhone 4 so it may be a coincidence that it happened after I did the jailbreak. The problem is, if Apple pulls the battery to make it stop, will it turn back on and they will see Cydia?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2510329&tstart=240

Actually, maybe I can pull the battery? Will that void the warranty?

If you try to pull the battery out yourself you will be screwed. If they see Cydia they might void your warranty but at least your phone will work and there is a chance they wont see it.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
If you try to pull the battery out yourself you will be screwed. If they see Cydia they might void your warranty but at least your phone will work and there is a chance they wont see it.

Will pulling the battery really void the warranty? How can they tell? Is there like a sticker that breaks or something?

pwb2103

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
why wouldnt you just let the battery die, leave it for an hour to make sure it is completely off, and then plug it in to see what happens?

Opening your iphone is a step you cant undo.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
AND WE'RE BACK BABY!!! **** YEA!

I removed the back cover and undid the battery connector. I did not have to remove the battery itself, just unplug the connector.
Reconnected everything and the phone fired right up!

Amnesia87

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
You probably could have plugged it into your computer and forced it into dfu mode.

From my understanding dfu is from hardware not software, which is why no matter how much you jack up your phones software you can always use dfu.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
You probably could have plugged it into your computer and forced it into dfu mode.

From my understanding dfu is from hardware not software, which is why no matter how much you jack up your phones software you can always use dfu.

Didn't work, I tried that and none of the buttons were responding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.