iPhone bricked, can't restore... please help?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Korsko, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Korsko macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

So I bought an iPhone 3gs off of eBay and it came unlocked and jailbroken. Like a complete idiot, I updated to 4.1, without thinking. As soon as I updated, the phone entered recovery mode. So I figured I had nothing else to do, but restore. Unfortunatly, no matter what I did, I can't get it to restore. I tried putting it in DFU mode, I tried restoring from another computer, I uninstalled iTunes, I even tried using redsn0w. I'm completely out of options, I've read hundreds of threads, but still, no fix. Can you guys help me, or should I ask the age old question: Will it Blend?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You upgraded to 4.1 or 4.2.1?
    It might have been updated with the ipad's baseband so now you can only restore to custom ipsw.
    Never update a JB and unlocked iphone unless you know 100% what you're doing.

3. Korsko thread starter macrumors newbie

I know man, it was so stupid, wasn't even thinking.

Anyway, I updated to whatever the latest version is. I tried restoring with 3.2.2 firmware and no dice... what do you reccomend? Is it bricked?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, not bricked.
    See if it lets you restore it to 4.1 using tinyumbrella if cydia has shsh's for it.
    Then once done restoring use T.U. to kick device out of recovery.

5. Korsko thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry brother, I'm a complete iLingo nub. Can you give me a stripped down step by step please? God, I would owe you my life if you got me through this...

For the record, I'm on Windows, and my iPhone is in recovery.. I can't access Cydia I don't think..?

6. Korsko thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so when I try to restore running T.U. in the back, I get the "preparing iPhone for restore" bar at the top. After a few seconds, it tells me that the iPhone could not be restored and I get an error... errr...

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Open up tinyumbrella while your iphone is plugged in and click "save SHSH"
    Then on the bottom of the window it should display "all saved shsh's"
    If you have shsh for 4.1 you can downgrade to that.
    Then after it restores thru itunes with TU running in the back and gives you an error click "exit recovery" on tinyumbrella and your iphone should boot up again.

8. Korsko thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I'm not even getting an error.. it just shows the recovery screen on my iPhone, and on iTunes the bar just gets stuck at "Preparing iPhone for restore".

I'm not sure if I fully understand what an shsh is. I've opened the restore with the 4.1 firmware restore file.. if thats the wrong file, can you link me to the proper one?

PS, thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it

9. Korsko thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh!!! Progress!! :D

I've now gotten to a slide for emergency screen. can I now jailbreak and unlock from here?

Good god man, you are a complete genius... thank you so, so much.

10. Korsko thread starter macrumors newbie

It's fixed, jailbroken. Perfect.

... words cant describe how grateful I am, thank you so much for taking the time to help me man.

11. epicdavidtv macrumors newbie

Do you think I could use these steps to fix mine? I still can't find a good Custom IPSW.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Give it a shot.
    There should be plenty of custom ipsw's online to grab.