iPhone bricked from 1.1.1 update - error 1611

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by netronin, Sep 27, 2007.

1. netronin macrumors member

I attempted to update my unhacked iPhone tonight and each time I get an error 1611 and it fails. I've tried it from 3 different computers (2 pc's and a mac) and the error is the same on each. The phone was working fine prior to trying the update. Right now it's in recovery mode and will not come out of that. When the update begins it gets rebooted and then goes to either a black or white screen with corruption (pixels) on it.

Anyone else seeing this?

2. thisonechance macrumors regular

I know your frustrations.

While attempting to update my iPhone, I get error 1603. I am unable to restore. Tried two different computers, one mac and one pc and no luck. The phone is stuck in and endless reboot cycle, never making in more than 3 seconds into the apple logo at startup.

The phone was unhacked in any way. sigh.

3. sanford macrumors 65816

Take it in for service. Any firmware update will brick x number of "legitimate" devices, either because of a random error during firmware update, or because of a device defect caused to become detectable by the firmware update.

"Bricking" hacked iPhones hasn't seemed to happen. Hacked phones just lose their 3rd party applications and you can't put them back. "Bricking" unlocked iPhones has seemed to have de-activated them and made them unusable, cannot be re-activated, even with their original included AT&T SIM cards.

What you two report is totally different. That error code will have a reference for Apple technicians. Call AppleCare or take it to an Apple Store. They'll know the difference.

A small, very small but it happens, number of iPods get bricked every firmware update. It's one reason you want to limit firmware updates. But iPhones aren't hacked or unlocked. It's just a failure of the update, or a defect of the device shown up by stressing it flashing the firmware.

4. thisonechance macrumors regular

Yeah, I am going in to the Apple store today (scheduled appointment online). I am hoping they just hand me another one if they can't restore this one. I really do not want them to send it out offering me "a convenient rental unit" in the mean time while waiting for mine to be declared dead.

I understand it happens. What makes it frustrating is when it happens to me, haha

5. sanford macrumors 65816

That's if they think they can fix it, I think. Regardless, get manager, pitch a fit. Discuss in loud voice how you're a totally locked, unhacked ATT customer and you fully support Apple's right to control their intellectual property, blah, blah, but when their system to control "bad" iPhone users causes you problems you expect immediate replacement. Wait until the iPhone table has a bunch of people checking them out. Be loud. Discuss how Apple is abusing lots of good customer over a few "bad" ones. If necessary, say you wish you'd never bought an iPhone if you knew this much hassle would come from a simple software update. Ask for the guy's superior at corporate retail. Just no profanity, although sometimes profanity actually works -- they do what you want to keep you from offending other customers in the store. They'll just swap it out right there if you're persistent. Rental unit, my ass.

6. carrierk macrumors newbie

mine too

i posted just above this one...sorry for the double post. I had the 1604 error. Talked to tech last night. They are sending me a rental (no cost) and he said that Apple will more then likely just send me a new iphone and not fix the one i have. hope hes right...very disappointed.

oh...its bricked! says connect to itunes.

7. carrierk macrumors newbie

8. thisonechance macrumors regular

Well, I took my 1603 error iPhone (unhacked) to the iPod bar at the local Apple Store and after about 30 seconds, the genius told me that he would get me a new iPhone and transfer my account over for me. Around 15 minutes later I was on my way home with a new iPhone in hand.

Thank you Apple for your great customer service.

On a side note, this phone has a much brighter screen and when scrolling through pictures, it scrolls much more smoothly.

9. somatsupra macrumors newbie

after error 1611 iphone recovered :))

Hi guys, i have benn looking since 4 days, all over web, for solution to repair iphone that i couldn't recover, because always replied error 1611 or 1604.
    Because my job is unlocking mobile phones, i always knew that when phone switch on even if for 1 second, that mean it is still alive and he just need help to revive.
    Concerning error 1611, i switched on iphone in recovery mode, and launched restore file 1.1.1, on screen i had the apple but iphone switched off during "preparing restore " process, i switched it on by myself, i had the itunes picture "recovery mode" and i didnt stop to push quickly the sound touch on the side of the phone, and thanks to god restore process began, and my iphone is now working :)))

10. somatsupra macrumors newbie

1611 error

i forgot to tell, i think much that 1611 error is due to low battery during recovery or during application installation.

11. xy14 macrumors 6502

xy14

plug in your iphone in recovery mode, and hold option when you click update in itunes. Then select the 1.0.2 software (if you have it, otherwise download it) and install it. There will be another error. Open iNdependence and under activation/sim click Activate Phone and follow instructions. Then under firmware select Pre Firmware Upgrade. Now upgrade to 1.1.1 and follow instructions to activate/unlock it.

12. MTT macrumors newbie

Check out Apple article TS1275 ("Update and restore error messages on the iPhone and iPod touch").

I got caught today (updating iPod Touch from 1.0.4 to 2.1 with iTunes 8.0.1 on OS 10.4.11 on an iMac G5), so the problem still exists. I guess during update the iPod reverts to some very basic USB implementation that gets easily confused. I finally got through after connecting the iPod directly to the Mac and restarting.

13. jessejames4 macrumors newbie

recovering from 1611 and 1603 errors

This may help someone:
    A coworker gave me their 3g 8k iphone to see if I could fix it for them: It worked fine until they turn it completely off, then when they turned it back on, she got the frozen Apple on the screen.

First I tried to restore on a Mac with updated itunes: I was able to get the iphone to get into the restore mode by the standard method of holding down 25 seconds, but Mac itunes repeatedly gave me the 1611 error. Tried this about three times.

I moved to updated itunes on a Windows XP Pro box and got the same message, and after several attempts including a reboot of the PC I got another message that the Apple Mobile Device Service was not turned on. I went into the control panel, then Admin Tools, into the Services panel and started the AMDS service. I set it on automatic, saved, then rebooted the PC again. I turned the iphone off and then started it again to the restore screen in the restore mode.

I started itunes again on the PC, hooked up the iphone and did a restore. This time on the restore I got a 1603 error. I turned off the iphone, rebooted the PC again, turned off the iphone and put back in restore mode and this time it restored to working condition.

I have no idea what event in this chain was successful, just that I did get the iphone restored from 1611 and 1603 error states. If possible, if you are having no luck with the restore on a Mac, try to restore on a Windows XP Pro platform.

Thanks to all the members who took the time to post here, it helped me quite a bit.

Jesse

14. rsm5 macrumors newbie

I feel the same, since I did not use my new phone for a year and feel like battery is dead, getting the same issue, getting 1611 in restore process.
    It looks like the phone turns off in the process and not turning ON.

Can you please tell me how you got the restore process through?
    Is the battery getting charged after you restored and working?

Thanks.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why you guys are looking at this old thread is beyond my, when a search on 1611 will get newer stuff:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=898386

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wow 1.1.1 that's old firmware even Spaz would say that's old

17. sheeni macrumors newbie

Error 1611,

-------------------------
    i have had the exactly same probleam, i have tried alot, from crearting a new user accout to uninstalling and installing each and everything again, at the same time my iphone 4 work exactly fine with the same itunes but iphone 3g stop responding, in exactly the same way as describe above, the only difference is that when the update started it restart the iphone, and given the message that it can not be restored because of unknown error 1611 and again the startup screen appear with the usb and itunes icon.............. i desparately need ur help........ getting fed up of trying anythg, now need a solution.......... plzzzzzz help

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

First of all, this is a four year old thread. Second of all, it was for the original iPhone and a firmware you do not have.

That said, all you need to do is put your iPhone 4 in DFU mode and restore. Unless your phone is physically broken, that will fix it.