Iphone Bricked! Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by zyzzogeton, Oct 23, 2008.

1. zyzzogeton macrumors member

So I tried to downgrade from 2.1 to 1.1.4 on my 3g, I did it by putting my phone in DFU mode. Then it wasn't working so I tried to just normally restore it. But then I kept getting errors (1600 and 1601) and now my phone does not even connect to itunes anymore!!! Please help! This is already the second time I had to replace my phone! (first time was just water damage :()

2. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

First off, it is highly unlikely your phone is bricked. I'm sure it is recoverable...

BUT...you tried to install 1.1.4 on a 3G iPhone??? The two are not compatible at all as the 3G has hardware that didn't exist when 1.1.4 was released.

Now, are you sure you had it in DFU when you did the restore? A lot of times folks have it in recovery and think it is in DFU. Your screen should be completely dark when in DFU. Also, what version of iTunes are you using? Are you using a custom 1.1.4 ipsw? Where did you get it?

We need a little more info please...

3. zyzzogeton thread starter macrumors member

Its defiantly in DFU mode. I've noticed people have been thinking its in DFU a lot when its in recovery :/

ITunes version is 8.0.1

I was using a legitimate version of the 1.1.4 firmware (I didn't get as far as the jailbreaking part as you might have guessed)

I got it from iclarified.com They have all the firmware versions you can download

Defiantly should have researched this more :(

4. zyzzogeton thread starter macrumors member

btw I would like to mention that I called the apple store and ask if they could fix it, so just wondering... Since I went into DFU with a jailbroken device, will they be able to tell it was modified?

5. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Uhhh... yes. If you change your Honda engine to a Toyota engine, and the hood gets stuck, they aren't going to just give you a new Honda because they couldn't see under the hood.

Trust me, the guys who make the vehicle, will get the hood open, and see the Toyota engine.

Unless you get that Toyota engine switched back for a Honda engine, you're screwed.

A phone is no different.

6. Bargsbeer macrumors member

Bargsbeer

Since your in DFU mode now, why don't you restore back to 2.1 and call it a day. all should be well unless you damaged the bootloader.

7. zyzzogeton thread starter macrumors member

I dont think you got it... MY PHONE WONT CONNECT!!! ITS IN DFU!!! :mad:

8. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

First, Theconfuzed1 is correct. They will know what you've been up to if you bring the phone in as it is.

Now, the iPhone is stuck in DFU? Try this: Download Ziphone. Under "Advanced Features" there is an option to Change phone Mode. You will see DFU Mode, Recovery Mode and Normal Mode. After you connect your iPhone select "Normal Mode". This should kick you out of DFU. I should remind you that Ziphone is NOT for 2.x firmware so do not use it to try to Jailbreak. The DFU, Recovery and Normal Mode features should work fine though. Another application you can try is iLiberty. Both are free and readily available with a Google search.

Again, I do not think your phone is bricked. Just keep at it and you WILL get it to restore.

9. zyzzogeton thread starter macrumors member

No I'm saying Bargsbeer is being a moron, I completely understand what The confuzed is saying.

And how am I supposed to use Ziphone and crap when my PHONE WONT EVEN CONNECT!!!

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I would suggest you keep trying different things. First, go for a reset (hold down home button and power button for 10 seconds or so) and see what happens. Keep the phone plugged into your computer as you do this so if it comes back online you will hear it connect. Power cycle it. Try a hard reset again. Really, I've run into a few bumps when I was downgrading and Jailbreaking and I would just keep trying different things until it worked. Try this too:

Power phone OFF. 2. Hold power + home for 10 seconds. 3. Let go of power and continue to hold home until iTunes finds the phone.

11. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

People were able to restore their iPhones after putting the iPod Touch firmware on them, so I think you will be able to recover from this. You need to put in DFU mode after you connect the USB cable. So plug it in, restart it, put it in DFU and restore.

Are you on a mac?

12. zyzzogeton thread starter macrumors member

mmk... lets put it this way... IM IN ****ING DFU AND MY COMPUTER WONT CONNECT TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

13. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Did you try the hard reset while plugged into your computer?

14. James L macrumors 6502a

zyzzogeton,

How about you stop swearing and insulting people trying to help you? People are willingly giving up their free time to try to help you, and you are acting like a prick.

15. zyzzogeton thread starter macrumors member

srry, I'm swearing I just have a bad temper, now whats the hard reset, is that the thing you showed above?

16. ian-frs macrumors 6502

Ok, try this. Unplug your phone from your computer. Then try to do a hard reset. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't work within a few seconds give it a couple tries. When you start to see signs of life reconnect it to your computer and just stick with 2.1 because 1.1.4 will not run on a 3G device. And please don't go near ziPhone it will just make all matters worse. If that doesn't work try unplugging it and then try to turn it on hold it for a few seconds then plug it back in.

17. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Yes. The goal here is to get your computer/iTunes to "see" your iPhone. By doing a hard reset while plugged in it will allow you to know right away if you have exited DFU. It will, most likely, put you into restore mode (which will let you then restore to 2.1 if you so wish). Again, you can try the hard reset or even a simple power down and power back up while you are plugged in to your computer.

18. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Not to digress here but the dangers associated with Ziphone are in the Jailbreaking process. More specifically when the baseband is downgraded. Using Ziphone to simply kick out of DFU or restore is safe.

You are correct about Ziphone potentially causing problems if used to Unlock/Jailbreak however.

19. ian-frs macrumors 6502

I am saying to stay away from ziPhone for the obvious reasons that it was not created for 2.1 and since he downgraded to 1.1.4 if it does find his phone it has a huge potential of messing with the baseband and not allowing it to function properly if at all.

20. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Fair enough. :)

21. zyzzogeton thread starter macrumors member

ummm... what happens if I screw up the baseband?

22. zyzzogeton thread starter macrumors member

K so I got itunes to detect my phone after a hard reset :D

Now lets not get to excited (calms self down*)

What should I do next, factory restore or just a normal restore?

23. ian-frs macrumors 6502

24. zyzzogeton thread starter macrumors member

25. zyzzogeton thread starter macrumors member

K I'm all good now! THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D