iPhone bricking with every firmware update

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jflan, Apr 1, 2010.

1. jflan macrumors newbie

Technically, I'm not asking for help with the phone itself. Here's the problem:

In February of 09 my 1st gen iPhone (not jailbroken) bricked itself while I was installing a firmware update. iTunes stopped recognizing it, neither my PC or Mac laptops would recognize it. And plugging it into the wall didn't help. I got it straightened out at the Genius Bar and went on my merry way.

Since then, every single firmware update bricks my phone. Without fail. Every time. I have since upgraded to a 3GS (also not jailbroken) and it's still happening. So it must be a problem on the Dell laptop I am using somehow. I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes and it hasn't helped. I do have the most recent version. The only way for me to rescue my phone is to plug it into my boyfriend's Mac (which oddly recognizes the phone although my old Macbook Pro will not) and do a restore. Then I can upgrade and sync on my Dell.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem and I have no idea how to fix it. I'm also hesitant to return to the Genius Bar since the issue appears to be the Dell and not the phone. Any advice?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm not being facetious, but why not stop using the Dell? Use the old MBP from now on. Once you do a DFU mode restore on it, I would think you'll be fine from now on with it (i.e., it'll recognize it).

If you want to use the Dell, then I'd suggest reinstalling the OS and starting from scratch.

3. jflan thread starter macrumors newbie

Mostly because I don't have the MBP anymore. I had it when the problem started and learned I couldn't restore with it. But I moved recently and got rid of it then. The Dell is the only computer I have.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe try formating and reinstalling Windows on the Dell and see if that does it.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Hmmm....so, what do you mean by "bricked," since your iPhone is not bricked if it works on the MBP? As you say, it sounds like a Dell issue. Have you tried different USB ports (version 2.0, which are directly off the MOBO on the back of the Dell)? Do you have USB 2.0? You've obviously reinstalled and installed iTunes, so the only hardware issue would be the ports. The cable is fine, since it works on the MBP.

Edit: Or do what Applejuiced said.