iPhone brightness fluctuating on its own?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by e93to, Dec 21, 2015.

1. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

I often stream videos in bed before falling asleep. Since I have the lights turned off, I manually turn down the phone's brightness to the lowest setting. And time to time, I notice the phone dims a little for a second (I don't know how the phone can dim even more since I have the brightness setting to the lowest possible...), and then comes back to set brightness. This is annoying at times since sometimes images on the the videos become so dark I can't even recognize what's being displayed. I can't say how often this happens, but I would say it happens 2-4 times during 30-minute duration.

It happens on all streaming apps I use - YouTube, Mubi and Shomi. What I am not sure about is whether this happens on other apps (not just video streaming), whether this is iOS or hardware, whether these specific apps are causing this, or whether this happens only when videos are being played.

Anyone else experience this? I have a 5S with 8.4.1.

2. Chatter macrumors 6502a

This may be very basic but do you have "auto brightness" turned on? Maybe that is the culprit?

3. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I don't know about other apps. But I've noticed when watching videos in the photos app and then going back to the library view that everything is very bright and slowly turns back to "normal". Best guess is that Apple is using some kind of auto contrast/brightness for video. This might be what you're experiencing. Can't say I've noticed it during a video though as it's very subtle.

4. e93to thread starter macrumors 6502a

e93to

I have auto brightness off. What's even weirder is that I have the brightness at the lowest setting, and the display becomes even dimmer!

5. e93to thread starter macrumors 6502a

e93to

The only instance of this specific issue occurring on my phone, so far, is during video streaming in my dark room. However, I can't say I experienced brightness changing on its own under normal lighting (even if it does, it would be very hard to tell...)

6. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Huh. Sorry then. I assume this is either a bug or a "feature" I know nothing about. Hope someone else can chime in.

7. joec1101 macrumors 6502

I have seen this happen occasionally on all my iPhones since iPhone 5. I think it has something to do with a light sensor on the phone. Apple has exchanged at least 3 or 4 phones for me over the past few years because of this issue. I don't think there's any fix for it - it appears to be hardware related.

8. HEK, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

9. e93to thread starter macrumors 6502a

e93to

Did you not read my post?

"I can't say I experienced brightness changing on its own under normal lighting"

"I would say it happens 2-4 times during 30-minute duration." "It happens on all streaming apps I use - YouTube, Mubi and Shomi."

It'd still be an issue since it does things the user did not intend.

It's not a brightness adjustment. Like I said, the display is set to lowest setting possible, and the screen becomes even darker. How does the display dim even more than what's allowed in the brightness setting?

No end user should adjust the way he/she uses the device to avoid an issue. On a side note, it does the same thing even with auto brightness turned on and brightness turned down to the lowest.

These comparisons don't really relate to the issue. Appliances should work the way the user tell them to, and in case of my phone it does some other thing that user did not intend.

It would be like video but pausing for a bit in the middle of streaming. Or phone not waking up when pressing the home button the first time. Or car air vents blowing cold air for a couple of seconds when heater is supposed to be on.

I guess this also applies to people who switched from "Windoze" to Mac, and Androids to iOS? Don't people on this forum like to complain about Windoze and Androids?

10. HEK, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

11. e93to thread starter macrumors 6502a

e93to

I own a company, and I wish I could say that about my products to customers. Furthermore does that logic apply to complaints about "Windoze" being clunky and Android being laggy? And what does that make of majority of Mac users who switched from PC, HP, Dell, etc? Do they suffer from severe case of "princess syndrome" since they resorted to spending quite a lot of money by switching to Mac instead of living with "flaws that may appear now and then"?

Again, did you read my post? I didn't say everyone else should be experiencing this issue. I made this thread to find out whether anyone else has experienced this, and hopefully to find out what is causing it (primarily whether it is hardware-related).

No. You only complained about me having "princess syndrome." BTW, I am the OP.

Again, did you not read my post? "sometimes images on the the videos become so dark I can't even recognize what's being displayed." Furthermore, you just cannot tell others how they should perceive an issue. You haven't even seen it yourself.

I don't know.

Doesn't that mean everyone, including you, should be experiencing this since it happens to majority of videos? I don't experience this on any other devices in my dark room - MBP, iMac, iPhone 4 and my tablet.

Please, stop posting if you are not experiencing the issue.