iPhone broke out of warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kieran9810, Jun 30, 2014.

1. kieran9810 macrumors member

A couple of months ago I changed the battery in my iPhone (my warranty had already run out) and then tonight whilst trying to update the software it got stuck in recovery mode, I spoke to customer support and tried all the methods but couldn't get my laptop to find my iPhone. If I took it into the store would I be charged to fix/replace it? As even though I'm out of warranty, I didn't do anything to cause the problem (if that makes sense?)

Many Thanks

2. ourmountain macrumors regular

You replaced the battery. That voids any and all warranty on that device. You will most definitely get charged.

A warranty only lasts until expired or voided. From the sound of it, yours is both.

As for not doing anything to cause it, you replaced the battery. You don't specify, but even if you used the proper battery and not a third party replacement, that's still a majorly risky procedure and could in fact be the cause of this.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So your warranty expired and you opened it and changed the battery yourself.
    So why would you think they will repair/replace your phone? It's clearly not eligible. They will just tell you to pay out of pocket for it.

4. Imaginator macrumors regular

There's your first problem.

And there's your second problem.

Are you serious?

It doesn't.

5. kieran9810 thread starter macrumors member

Ok we'll thanks for the advice. Connected it to a different computer and it seems to be restoring now.