iPhone broken. What are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alucardx03, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I got an iPhone in December for Christmas, and today the top speaker (where you place your ear) will not work. The phone has never been dropped or abused in any way. Obviously, I got a defective unit. So, what are my options? I bought it at an AT&T store. Would I be able to return it for another phone? Does anyone else have any experience with this type of thing?

2. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Just make an appointment at an Apple Store and since you're in your year warranty and as long as there are no visible dents you should be fine.

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Yeah...if you didn't do anything to it and it really is defective, they should replace it.

4. Alucardx03 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I was under the impression that it was only a 90 day warranty. It's a huge relief that it's a year warranty. So, even if I got it at the AT&T store, I should make an appointment at the Apple store?

5. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Apple store all the way. Forgot AT&T is even in the picture. You now own an Apple product.

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

It's funny you should mention that because I bought mine about 2 weeks prior to yours and I had the very same problem last week. I repeatedly rebooted the phone until it suddenly came back and I haven't had any problems with it since. I wouldn't be completely sure that's it's defective.

7. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Quick tip: I had the same exact thing happen to me. The only way I can hear anything was by using the included earphones. I called Apple support and they told me to unplug and plug the earphones about 5 to 10 times (I thought they were crazy!) but that fixed the problem.

The reason is because there is a sensor in the earphone jack that on rare occasions can become "activated" thinking that there is something plugged into it and thus muting the speaker.

Try that before taking it in...

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

Adding to genshi's post, if you can find a can of compressed air, try blowing out the headphone jack. Sometimes pocket lint will get in there and cause the problem he was talking about (where the iPhone thinks the headphones are plugged in and doesn't send sound to the earpiece).

If you do go to the Apple store, be sure to make a Genius Bar reservation in advance.
    http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I agree, a quick blast of the Gas Duster did the trick for me. Now, I don't even think about it, 'cause I use my BT 24/7. :p

10. Alucardx03 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Again, thanks for the help. Strangely, the iPhone is working perfectly again. I think it may have been the sensor thinking that the headphones were plugged in. Fingers crossed that I don't have anymore problems.