iPhone Bumper Damages Antenna?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamied95, Aug 28, 2010.

1. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Since I've started using my bumper, the antenna band around my iPhone 4 has been getting more and more scratched, especially the on/off button and around the mute switch thing :( is anyone else seeing the same? I don't know how it works, but it's definitely happening :(

2. draz macrumors 6502a

Yes it does scratch and mark it up, rubber on metal does this.

If you really want to protect it then consider something like the Zagg Antenna fix thing that covers up most of the metal. Then stick the bumper on. Or just put a piece of tape on the metal then slap the bumper on.

3. jamied95 thread starter macrumors 6502

So, Apple give us something to remedy the problem with their phone, and it damages said phone? hmff :|

4. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Its bits of dust trapped under the bumper that get rubbed onto the metal band. Try and clean it properly if you can.

5. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I've noticed the scratches on mine too. I'm pretty sure it's from dirt and debris in my pocket. I have since installed the free antenna shield from best buy to prevent further damage. I work in a metal shop so the damage is to be expected I suppose.

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I had my bumper on for almost two months and took it off every week to clean off the phone. The bumper still managed to put two tiny scratches on my phone. It's when dust gets trapped in between the bumper and the phone that it causes scratches. The same thing happens when using cases. I have a 3GS that has an iSkin Solo on it and dust gets in between the case and the phone all the time. I have to clean it out. If I don't, it too will scratch that phone.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I used a bumper up to the point I got a PixelSkin and don't have any scratches. Other people are also reporting scratches.