Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backbraker25

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
I've had my iPhone for about a month now and was using it without a bumber for about 2 weeks, not a scratch. I received my bumber about 2 weeks ago and had it on ever since. Today I removed the bumber to clean the phone and noticed several scratches all over the antenna.

I'm not sure if this is an issue for anyone else but it's truly frustrating to have a phone in mint condition and have the very thing design to protect it scratch it.

If anyone had this problem, how did you resolve it? And is there anything I can do to remove those scratches? I hope I'm not the only one with this issue.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I know how you feel. I had a case for my 3GS (an expensive one at that) which left a deep scratch on the back. I returned it, and got a full refund. The scratch is still there, but I try not to use hard cases now

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
Bumper scratched my iPhone after 2 days of use too, not really much you can do to remove the scratches, I just purchased a Best Skins Ever full body protector so the back, front and sides are all protected now with a clear film and I can stick any case I want on it without fear of it getting scratched

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Same thing happened to me, I completely stopped using the bumper and got an incase slider case. Alot more protection and so far not a single additional scratch on the phone, I would not recommend a bumper, thankfully it was free, but still frustrating that it left it's mark on my phone.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
I recently got an iphone 4. Are there any silicon cases for it (is this even an option)? I never liked hard cases when I used an ipod touch and I want to keep it as nice as possible.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Weird. I've been using the Bumper for over a month and my antenna is still scratch-free.

I wonder if a bad batch of Bumpers was manufactured.:confused:

FWIW, I ordered my Bumper around 6am PST on the very first day they were available for the Case Program.

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Same thing happened to me, I completely stopped using the bumper and got an incase slider case. Alot more protection and so far not a single additional scratch on the phone, I would not recommend a bumper, thankfully it was free, but still frustrating that it left it's mark on my phone.

Yeah this just reminds me of all the threads related to incase sliders scratching up the back of the 3G and 3GS phones.

Your milage may vary.

clarknick67

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Weird. I've been using the Bumper for over a month and my antenna is still scratch-free.

I wonder if a bad batch of Bumpers was manufactured.:confused:

FWIW, I ordered my Bumper around 6am PST on the very first day they were available for the Case Program.

yup, that's really a little weird

tom2517

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
That is because either the bumper is poorly designed, or that the manufacturer made it poorly. If you look inside the bumper, you will see plastic/rubber flash that is not completely trimmed off, which is causing the scratches.

Before using the bumper, people should check inside and make sure there is no protruding flash that will scratch the antenna.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
So nobody thinks then it is just dust and dirt particles getting into the bumper? Mine has always scratched the antenna, but not long lines, just little holes pricked into the metal.

I highly doubt we have some sort of wave of faulty bumpers.

RedSoxNation1

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I loved my bumper when I 1st got it, but now not so much. It moves around on the sides and top, it doesn't fit well. I tried taking it off and readjusting it but it still has the same prob. I wouldn't recommend the bumper.

jaysquires

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
I got a bumper the day after ip4 came out and was using it up until last week. I took it off to clean and noticed the scratches all around the edge my phone looks pretty wrecked now im gutted. The bumper is basically useless, it does not fit onto the phone properly which lets the dust and grit underneath thus scratching the phone. I would recommend anybody with a bumper not to use it and BIN IT!!!

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
I got a bumper the day after ip4 came out and was using it up until last week. I took it off to clean and noticed the scratches all around the edge my phone looks pretty wrecked now im gutted. The bumper is basically useless, it does not fit onto the phone properly which lets the dust and grit underneath thus scratching the phone. I would recommend anybody with a bumper not to use it and BIN IT!!!

If the bumper is no good (based only on a few reviews, so I will do other research to compliment this), then what should I use? I want the iphone to remain nice. Anything in silicone?

backbraker25

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Has anyone complain to Apple? I'm really upset about this! I like to keep my phones in pristine condition for resale value.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
This is why I've never used a case on my iPhones. When I got my original far back in the days of lore (2007), I wanted to make sure that it stayed as nice-looking as possible. Cases, while they do indeed offer protection from the odd drop, also tend to fit the phone very tightly. As I pocket my phone all day, every day, and cannot ensure that my pocket is the world's cleanest place, some dirt or dust is bound to work its way into the little crevices in the case. When it does, the case serves to mash the dirt/dust between the case and the phone. After that, through walking around and just normal usage, the dirt gently gouges its way into the housing of the phone and case. I've seen it happen to far too many friends. Whenever people see my 2G and ask why it still looks so nice, while others look like utter crap, I give much of the credit to the fact that it has never been in a case. This is why I'm not using a case on my iPhone 4 - sure, the back has a couple light scratches in it, but the back can be easily replaced. The same can't be said for the steel ring.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
The wifey is using a bumper and does not have any damage from it. I used a bumper for about a month until I purchased a silicone case and also do not have any damage.

sat165

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
I'm in your cupboard
will people stop writing ***** posts complaining about this,

if you have issues with it scratching the sides, then buy the invisible zagg shield. if you dont want to waste money on the full shield then you can buy the side protectors only package, you can pick it up for around 5£ on ebay,

the zagg sides also help the bumper stick to the sides and make it feel more solid in ur hand

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
will people stop writing ***** posts complaining about this...

You need to seriously get a grip. Don't like the thread, don't read it.

-----

OP. The bumper didn't scratch the antenna, dust and dirt that gets in there scratches it. The same is true for iPhone cases and laptop hard shells. This isn't a warrant issue and you really should have anticipated that this could happen.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
I take my bumper on and off all the time and no scratches on the antenna *knock on wood*

What are you people doing? Do you have rocks in your pockets!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.