iPhone bumpers: Yay or Nay.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BJB Productions, Nov 22, 2011.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hi all,
    Here's the situation: I really don't want to put a case on my iPhone; I love the look of it naked, but I know I should do something. I have an invisible shield on the back to protect from scratches, but that's all. I want to keep the sleek factor as much as possible, but I want to know that if I drop it from a few feet, or knock it against a wall, I'm ok.

I was considering getting the iPhone bumper. However, I've heard that it's not a great product. Paint coming off, etc.

There's so many cases out there it's just gross. None of them really catch my eye either.

I know I don't want a one of those massive cases that you could drop from 1000 feet. :roll eyes:

Thoughts on the bumper? Other suggestions?

Thanks

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I suggest having a skin for the antenna band as well, they get scratched fairly easily.

3. Gavernty macrumors 6502

bumpers scratch the steel band, I had mine on for a day and there were already scratches on the band. So I agree with the previous post that you should use some kind of guard on the band if you are going to use a bumper

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

The only bumper I'd go with is a Caze Thinedge.

A major problem with the Apple bumpers is stretching (when you take them on and off to clean you bumper)... Caze Thinedge doesn't have this problem.

Also I put pieces of scotch tape on my antenna to make sure it doesn't get scratched.

5. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

6. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

7. PB&Jon macrumors newbie

I've been doing research for the same reasons - and I am more or less settled on the SGP Neo Hybrid EX. It looks almost exactly the same as the Apple bumper but has two separate pieces - one silicone and one hard plastic - so you don't get the warping or breaking. Also, I'm thinking/hoping that this silicone layer will prevent scratching on the band.

8. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

First to the comment on the Jett case close thread...ha most people like the reception on the phone

Second, don't know why people are so high on the sgp 2 piece design. I've used it and it wasn't that great at all. It's a pain to put on and it only works with standard headphones like the apple bumper. The silicon collects dust too.

Personally I've always been a fan of the apple bumper. Especially the revised version. It's a snug fit and never had a problem with stretching. I just bought a new one after 16 months of usage.

This with lucky lab side wraps, keeps scratches free and even more snug.

My opinions of course

So yay for me

9. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

I haven't tried the bumper, but I have tried SGP Neo Hybrid EX & II. I liked the case overall but the con's were the fact why I just have an Ultra Thin. Not all headphone/earphone jacks will fit with SGP Neo Hybrid EX & II (I have Bose MIE2) and the earphones would fit tightly on it. Also the case attracted lint from my pockets which was another no no for me. :apple:

10. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I have the new SGP Neo hybrid 2S on my iPhone 4S and I love it (a lot more than I ever liked my apple bumper). The 2 piece design prevents it from stretching like others mentioned. The silicone is coated in some sort of hard material so the bare soft silicone isn't exposed...haven't seen any dust collecting and don't foresee any either. Yes the headphone jack is just big enough for apple headphones but if you have different headphones, just buy an adapter for pennies. It is a little tough to get on but I'd rather have that than something that is loose fitting. The fitment is perfect and is nice and tight. Best case to showcase your iPhone. I've tried a lot of cases and this one is the best one i've had yet. Absolutely no negatives.

11. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

Whatever you do dont bother with the Apple bumper. Can always grab a knock off on ebay for much cheaper and wont really notice any difference.
    As for scratching the sides, I have the clear-coat on the sides so there is no scratching.

12. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Check out the Griffin Reveal Frame. It is super cheap and preserves the look of your phone. As others have suggested, get a skin for the band around the phone.

A note about the white reveal, it gets dirty pretty fast. Taking it off is a bit of a pain too. Installing it is easier. I got mine for about $8 off eBay (NY seller).

13. PB&Jon macrumors newbie

How does it fit on your 4S? The Hybrid 2 (for now) only fits GSM phones, although they do have the "Snow" series for CDMA/4S.

Good to hear you like it. The headphone port is not an issue for me either.

14. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I have the snow series in infinity white. The switch fits in the opening and the opening is big enough to accommodate all iPhone 4 versions I believe. My 4S switch is biased towards the bottom of the opening. I would prefer it to be centered but I realize why they create the larger universal opening. Any questions feel free to ask or pm

15. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

I have had zero reception issues.

16. phooi macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have a Desmay slight that might fit your needs. Just know that you will trade sleek for drop protection. There is a thread on thin cases.