iPhone: Buy or Wait (yes another but different than rest)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HelixOmnimedia, May 5, 2009.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Ok

I know there are probably 100 of these threads, but I would like an iPhone on Pay-As-You-Go UK (O2). But my question is, what are the chances of this 'new' iPhone coming out and going onto pay and go straight away or will they hold it back for a few months.

So it is, based on the above problem, should I wait or buy?

Also i really need a new mobile i don't have one, just back from 6months in the USA.

Thanks for any advice.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

For what it's worth, I've got a feeling that the OS 3.0 upgrade is all we're going to get this year and the multitude of rumour mongers are going to end up with very red faces! However, things may not end up that way and I could be the one with egg over my face :eek:

In any case, I'm hedging my bets and waiting for the next few weeks to find out! I suggest you do the same ;)

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I could be completely wrong here, but I don't think that the new iPhone will come out on pay as you go straight away. There is always a shortage of phones at the beginning, and I think they'll reserve them for who they are making the most money off. Pay as you go getting it after the rush has died down.

4. lucamacis macrumors member

I agree with the others. People with the first choice IF there is a new iPhone would be contract customers. More money is to be made from them.

By the way are you sure you want PAYG? It's a lot of money for a single handset no matter how good it is (And believe me it will be the best device you ever own :) )

5. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

The reason I want PAYG is because i don't want to be tied into a contract as i would like to move back to the USA, so PAYG is the best option. I brought back about $600 which i have just sitting and i need a new phone, so i thought i would change it over, put a little bit to it and but an iPhone. Plus my touch home button is broken so its either a iPhone or iPod.

And i don't think I will find a good cheap PAYG phone that can do Facebook, MSN, SKYPE and EMAIL as easily as the iPhone.

6. lucamacis macrumors member

Agreed :)

7. mirffy macrumors member

Personally I'll be getting the current iPhone by Friday albeit not PAYG.
    I've been on the fence for almost a very long time, and my current phone's crapping out on me slowly but surely so now's as good a time as any.
    I'm skeptic about Apple releasing a hardware upgrade, and even if they do I'm guessing it won't be anything spectacular like GPS and 3G, but more along the lines of more storage (16GB & 32GB), quicker processor, maybe a better camera (which I don't care for too much) and maybe even a minor case redesign (matte black back maybe?). This and the fact that the availability will be sparse at best until the "i need to get the new iPhone!"-craze cools down (I'm guessing end of July to mid August) made me jump now rather than stick it out until then.

8. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

so why dont you wait until june for the new one to appear?

9. lucamacis macrumors member

@ mirffy - Fair enough if you can't wait then you cant wait. I knew i couldn't when i still had a few months on my previous contract left. But if your not too bothered than wait. If camera quality is better, processor speed is better and battery life is better, even just a little then you will be very happy that you gave it a little longer. My opinion anyways.