Iphone buying problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by new-Mac-owner, Mar 2, 2008.

1. new-Mac-owner macrumors regular

Yesterday I went to At&t and wanted to buy an Iphone. But the problem is I dont want At&t And they said they can not sell the phone with out an contract is this true? Now the next question If I go the apple store can I buy without contract? And the finial thing For all you t-mobile user with Iphone have you got any unexpected charges to your bills like roaming ?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Head out to the Apple Store...

you should have no problem. Unlocking can be done right after that transaction, but not at the Apple Store or AT&T! :cool:

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You could try going to an AT&T store and saying you are buying the iPhone as a gift. If there are no Apple stores near you this might be plausible.

4. MattsxB macrumors member

You can always buy from the apple store online no questions asked....

5. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

My friend got my iPhone for me at Cupertino HQ, no problem. You won't sign a contract with AT&T if you buy from the store, and not from AT&T.

btw to those planning to stick with AT&T: don't get them to activate for you, as the iphone won't sync with your computer when you get home.

6. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

I guess ill have to make a run to the apple store there is like 4 within 20 miles . Now has any one got a high bill from t-mobile due to the iphone?

7. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i bought it at at&t store and didnt get any kind of contract??

8. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

I guess you had good luck the area I went has very high priced shops so I guess they are just trying to be Normal sales-people.

9. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

There is no reason why they should not sell you the phone without a contract-- you activate it through iTunes-- when I went to get a replacement sim for my phone they said to me (more than once) we do not activate the phones for you, you have to do it at home

10. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

They said "WE have to run your credit here and you only have 30days to activate it". And thats when I left but also I didnt want to tell I would be using t-mobile if it possibly easy.

11. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

May I ask how old you are? They truly have no reason NOT to sell you a phone-- that's insane!!!

12. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

16 and I was with Parents so It was fine they should take the money regardless.

13. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I agree-- had a feeling you were a little younger and they were trying to force you into a contract (which I think you would be unable to sign anyway because of your age)-- that royally sucks-- go to the Apple store even if it in an inconvenience...they won't give you a hard time

14. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

yea I hope so Maybe ill deff get t-mobile dont wanna give them any more money than We have to.

15. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

GOT The Iphone today YA......very happy,But only who would know anther problem you have to have a credit card had to go all the way home and back again.Apple should take legal us tender.:cool::eek:

16. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

There are reasonable explanations for both of these. Apple is trying to cut down on unlocked phones because they make money through the activations on AT&T. So when buying at an AT&T store you have to start the activation process (with a credit check) and at Apple stores you have to use a credit card for at least part of your purchase (there is no minimum, you can just put $1 on CC if you want).

17. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

O well its all fine now I got so its all good.

18. xA4Hx macrumors member

lol, Id crack up laughing at the company who signs a person on a contract that is under 18. lol, all you got to do is pratically tell them you dont want to pay for it anymore and want to cancel , lol they cant even charge u a fee since legally u cant sign. lol , it was ment to predict foolish youth from doing stupid ****, like signing contracts.

-illusion

19. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I got mine at an apple store. Really easy, never asked for anything except my credit card. Had it unlocked as soon as I got back to my car.