iPhone buying questions [UK]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dagless, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Getting an iPhone in a week or so and just have a few questions! Mostly all based around never using a contract phone before.

- Are you billed as soon as you activate your iPhone, just wondering if the £329 for the 16gb phone will be the last thing I spend that day?

- What happens when I go over the minutes? I'd like the phone to just not dial out or be able to send texts so I don't get anything added to my bill. Does o2 have an option to do that?

- the o2 coverage map says I'm in a high coverage area, but does that mean good EDGE? A few places where I hike have "standard" coverage, I assume this will still have EDGE but at a low speed?

um. Think thats it!

2. brian250 macrumors member

Hey ya,

The first billing is in advance, but it does not come out the day you activate it, usually up to 7 days after.I think there is an option to decide what day you want your DD to debit.

o2 will be able to change your "credit limit" to zero for you, if you wish. I.E. you wont be able to make calls/send texts or roam outside of inclusive minutes/texts. Just give them a ring on 202 from your iPhone. As for EDGE, I have found any big city or town is fine. It can be patchy in rural areas, but Ive only noticed it on the train or something like that. TBH I use Wi-Fi wherever possible.

The plans are a lot better now than they were at first, and CC is more together about iPohne now. I would say go for it, yes its expensive, but life is for living and overdrafts are for spending!

Brian.

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Ah the money isn't too important. There's nothing else for me to save up or buy now. TBH I don't really need an iPhone, it'd just be a nice hiking gadget what with the loose GPS, speaker for music, email anywhere etc. I know other phones can do this but I'm totally sold on the OSX sync and that it's just an encased slab of gizmos with a touchscreen! It replaces so much and weighs so little compared to everything else I would need.

Thanks too!

Was really impressed by looking at the demo models at my local o2 and Apple stores. Everything else in there gets wrecked but the iPhone sits there with slight scratches on the chrome rim, good work Apple.

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Just a bit curious about POP3 mail, would I get an outgoing SMTP address from o2? Since Mail transfers the settings over wouldn't it also transfer my BT SMTP address?

5. wayne226 macrumors member

if your bt account goes through the yahoo server ,you can set up push email easy on the iphone.
    and all settings from mac mail are transfered to phone when you sync up for the first time ,when you activate the phone.
    i.e google aol yahoo

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Nono my email is from a web hosting package. I use mail.domain.com for the POP and my BT SMTP for outgoing (although recently it hasn't been working). I doubt Push would work on it. But I might have to look into it.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In most cases your ISP (BT in your case) doesn't care about your outgoing access. If they do, just set it to use your username and password to send mail, or get a Gmail account and use Gmail's (GoogleMail in the UK) outgoing mail server so send your mail.

Also, I would assume that in places that don't have "Great" coverage, you'll still get GPRS which is slower than EDGE, but better than nothing.

TEG

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Good enough for plain ol email though?

Either way I just found out my domain POP mail also has an SMTP which seems to work a treat.

Cheers all :)